drilled hole too deep because wall is hollow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to bolt a tv cabinet to the wall. the said wall is an inner wall between rooms, about 13cm thick.
The idea was to drill 10x50mm holes and stick the wall plugs in.
I did some drilling, however all the holes came out different and i hit a hollow part which makes the holes too deep for my plugs.

-hole 1: about 15mm white part, 15mm reddish part, then hollow 50mm
-hole 2: 50mm white
-hole 3: about 15mm, 30mm pinkish part difficult to drill through, 35 mm hollow.

I'm hoping someone can tell from the description of the holes, what the wall is made of, and whether its sturdy enough to use these plugs, or should i use hollow wall anchors?

cheers,
Xav

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you're drilling into a brick wall and the bricks have a hollow section. Google different bricks - there are loads of types.

Red - brick
white - mortar

The depth of the hole does not matter if the drill bit selected was the correct size. The plug should fit snugly and not vanish into the hole.

You may have to drop a bit size or find a brand/size of larger plug if you don't want to drill more holes...

P

Hollow bricks of various styles are commonly used across europe. I agree that this is what it sounds like you've drilled into.

You may find that your wall is actually made up of two different types of brick, which could explain why hole 1 and hole 3 are different?

The plugs work by expanding into the hole when screwed into so that friction prevent the plug, screw and whatever's attached from falling out. The plugs should be just big enough to fit into the hole you've drilled. If you can pull them out (or push them through) easily then they are the wrong size.

Make the hole slightly bigger and use a resin fixing. Let the fixing cure for 24 hours before putting any load onto it.

Sponsored Links
in loose holes, it can be useful to squirt no-more-nails or cheaper subsitute into the holes, push the plasplugs in, and leave to harden before tightening.

However hollow bricks are very difficult as your screw, plug and adhesive will just be flopping in the air like a matchstick in the Mersey tunnel

Expanding foam will fill the hollow, but has little strength

edit, yes resin is even better, but much more expensive. I always have a cartridge of builders adhesive to hand.

Resin fixing sounds a bit grand. I was thinking of a simple tube anchor (about a quid for 10 and about the same again for the bolts) and a tube of resin fix, which is about four or five quid. Maybe a touch pricey but at least the result will be reliable. Gripfill (or the Croatian equivalent) would be even cheaper and would probably do the job just as well.

thanks for the suggestions:)
This resin fix looks like the sturdiest option. So if they don't have that here, i'll find some no nails, gripfill type equivalent to fill these hollow bricks to sticks these plugs in.
cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back