Gutter junction to downpipe query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, new to this form - please can anyone offer advice - my conservatory guttering has been overflowing lately, and after investigation today, I find that the downpipe junction was blocked initially with moss, but when I cleared this away, I find the drain hole from this gutter to the downpipe is reduced in aperture, and not the size of the down pipe bore. I estimate the aperture diameter to be around 25mm where as the downpipe diameter is as standard. Why would this restrictor be fitted in the first instance and can this restriction be easily removed to match the diameter of the downpipe?

Sponsored Links
Why not post a pic of the 25mm aperture?

Is the conservatory roof glass?

Ree, also I am not too steady on a ladder, I could only just reach to clear the moss and feel with my hand the small aperture.

Sponsored Links
There's no reason for a restriction there, so it could be an idea to remove that running stop end and see if you can open things up a bit......it won't be easy to get a power tool in there, but half an hour with a file will see you done.
Does the water butt have an overflow? There will be quite a water deluge from those roofs.
John :)

Hi John, Yes there is an overflow pipe down into the underground take away pipe, funnily enough it could be the same guage as the aperture. This guttering was fitted by local conservatory fitter, so not sure where a reducer aperture would/should be used.

No real idea on that one, but maybe there's some reasoning in the fact that you don't want water to be sluicing off the roof as the gutters won't self clean, and a restriction will achieve this.....it's the same theory for soil drain pipes - it keeps everything moving along.
Your guttering is also handling water from a roof above so I think the restriction needs to be removed, especially if the gutters are running over!
John :)

I dont understand? Surely, if you can reach into the gutter outlet then you can hold a camera above the position?

the outlet or spiggot they have used requires a certain sized hole borer to cut a hole in the gutter and then a piece is screwed through the top to hold it all together. my guess is that they havent had a hole borer with them so theyve drilled a small hole and just glued the bottom piece of the spiggot onto the gutter. i would buy an outlet (floplast) and replace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back