How to Replace a Bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 78689
I want to replace all the wood bits of this bay window as it is rotten. the top section has collapsed downwards. the base is fine, so it is just the main structure which needs replacing. The roof is fine, but i assume it is easier to take it all down and start again.

Does anyone know the process to do this job. Any info will be appreciated. I can do the roof bit no probs and will do it in fibreglass.

Actually building a new main frame is the bit i am not sure on. Would you do a wooden frame and then order pvc windows, for example or would you do it all in wood (or even pvc) ?

Here is a pic showing the bay inside upstairs.

View media item 78687
The render has gone as well and you can see daylight through it in the room. I plan on using a hardwood cladding instead of render.

Any joiners in Leeds fancy working with me on this give me a shout.

Sponsored Links
Based upon a job I was involved with recently.
Get measured up for windows before taking anything out.
Then as close as you can get to having windows delivered, rip everything out and rebuild the studwork, membrane, insulation etc.

You will likely need acros, our job was upstairs only so I don't know which would be best to start with, up or down.

Probably best to ask again in windows and doors forum, linking to this topic.

Sponsored Links
I have ordered the bay and have a fitter lined up to help me out.

I know how to build my timber wall know and it just sits on top of the bottom bay.

The thing i am not too sure about is to do with the 2 joists on the first floor which rest on the bay at the moment.

I will need to take out the floor boards in the bay area when i strip everything out. The joists will then probably come out as well. So how do i set the joists back on top of the new pvc frame ? IS there a product which secures to the frame and holds the joist in place ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back