Joist hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got 22 heavy duty 9"x2" joist hangers to cut into the common brickwork, is there a tool such as similar to a multi-cutter for neat square hole, thinking a 9" grinder cut is too wide, the other theory is a masonary drill. How do you find the best way of a neat slot?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The tools you need are a drill and a plugging chisel.

You will never cut a perfect slot, and the cut needs to be packed afterwards in any case

Couldn't you bolt a wall plate and screw the hangers to that?
That would be the easiest but I'm not confident with a few rawlbolts taking all the weight unless it's strong enough?

hmm, having said that, there will be 4"x2" studwork with kingspan insulation against the wall underneath supporting the joists hangers as well

This job is in the warehouse

M12 anchors @ 600 crs should be ok, the shear strength of those is far greater than your hangers.

I've used the heavy duty simpson joist hangers cut into the brickwork, 9" x 2" joists on 3m span. The upper floor level will be shelves/storage area. I was going to put in upright timber studwork for insulation under the joist hangers but they now don't need it. Do you think I'll need extra support under the joists hangers using a ledger plate rawlbolts to the wall or will the joist hangers take the weight above?

I'm thinking the bolts into the wall would be positioned under each of the rafters, so the wallplate has very little stress on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back