max width of lintel opening (extending house) - advice pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

im looking at buying a new house and they have accepted the offer (im in UK by the way). the house is a dorma

i am looking to knock through the lounge into the garage to make a big lounge / cinema room.

my only concern is the length of the opening. it will be 5m and on a load bearing wall. i am planning on extending the bedroom above the lounge too so that might also need a lintel too (i could just do it with an en-suite and walk in wardrobe though)

is this possible? if this cannot be done then this isnt the house for us.

quick responses very much appreciated! thanks!

here is a link to the estate agent plans:
http://media.rightmove.co.uk/31k/30038/35386340/30038_1922165_FLP_01_0001_max_600x600.jpg

pic of exterior (its a dorma)
http://media.rightmove.co.uk/31k/30038/35386340/30038_1922165_IMG_00_0002_max_620x414.jpg

Sponsored Links
The knock through into the garage should be no problem, although you'll likely have to leave a chunk of wall sticking out to support the beam though this can be minimised if a goal post solution can be utilised (at more cost). Beam depth is likely to be around 200-250 deep, this would ordinarily be below the existing ceiling although beams can be inserted higher to maintain a flush ceiling (again at more cost).

Planning aside, extending over a garage is not always quite so straightforward. You will need to build an inner skin of sorts (be it timber or masonry) as well as support the additional weight of a floor and wall upon the existing garage foundation. Often it is easier to just knock the garage down and start again if the existing foundations are not up to it. That said, the last two extensions I did over a garage the existing garage was retained.

The knock through into the garage should be no problem, although you'll likely have to leave a chunk of wall sticking out to support the beam though this can be minimised if a goal post solution can be utilised (at more cost). Beam depth is likely to be around 200-250 deep, this would ordinarily be below the existing ceiling although beams can be inserted higher to maintain a flush ceiling (again at more cost).

Planning aside, extending over a garage is not always quite so straightforward. You will need to build an inner skin of sorts (be it timber or masonry) as well as support the additional weight of a floor and wall upon the existing garage foundation. Often it is easier to just knock the garage down and start again if the existing foundations are not up to it. That said, the last two extensions I did over a garage the existing garage was retained.

ah thanks mate, you have settled my mind a little now.

any ideas of a rough cost do do this? even if we knocked down the garage?

we also plan to create an en-suite and walk in wardrobe/storage above the garage/new lounge.

i know it would just be a ball park figure as there are so many variables.

Sponsored Links
last question, would you recommend getting an architect in or should a small building company be able to provide drawings and the like?

It could be done for less, or it may cost more, there are many parameters. You could do some of the work yourself if that's your bag.

No need for a full blown architect, employ an architectural technician: a one man band. Personally I wouldn't use a builder to provide the drawings. Really you want a good set of drawings and then get quotes based on those drawings. Then all your builders are giving a like for like price.

Expect to pay around £500 for planning drawings and at least the same again for Building Regs drawings, probably £100-£600 for structural engineers fees depending on their input. Planning Application local authority fees are £150, Building Control fees are about £600. If a Party Wall Agreement is needed you will need to allow for that too. Probably worth a quick chat with planning to make sure there's nothing glaringly obvious preventing it being granted maybe have a look up and down the street to see if anyone else has done similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back