OK to seal OSB with Bitumen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've laid some 18mm OSB down as my shed foundation floor, it protrudes a bit from the shed though and would get wet from rain. I was thinking of sealing the top and edges with melted bitumen (cheap and very very waterproof). Something like this http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/iko-easymelt-block-bitumen-10kg.html Would this be OK? Once "set" or cooled, the bitumen wont be sticky will it?

Sponsored Links
Im actually having second thoughts about this, I think aesthetically it might look dreadful. I think im going to PVA seal the edges and paint the top with 5 year woodstain on top (flat surface). That sound OK?

Then cut the flooring boards back from the building edge and drop the siding cover past the flooring and it will become sheltered.

No sealants are necessary on a shed floor, and certainly not bitumen.

Then cut the flooring boards back from the building edge and drop the siding cover past the flooring and it will become sheltered.

No sealants are necessary on a shed floor, and certainly not bitumen.

I cant. The frame itself (think decking frame) extends beyond the shed. Nothing is going on the floor of the shed (well maybe an expoy paint just to dress it as it will be a workshop/shed). Im thinking about the OSB that will be "outside"

Sponsored Links
Timber framed decking is precisely what i'm visualising, surely anything projecting can be cut back to the building line - perhaps pics will help?

Timber framed decking is precisely what i'm visualising, surely anything projecting can be cut back to the building line - perhaps pics will help?

20140726_133340.jpg

20140729_070909.jpg

you see the actual structural beams themselves protrude. Im thinking exterior wood paint the top exposed areas and PVC the edges and then paint over them?

Thanks for the pics.

You've built an excellent deck frame but why didn't you build it to match the dimensions of the shed outline? I presume that the metal frame is part of a self erect kit?

Thing is, you now have a situation where the deck edges will have to be extensively flashed to protect against damp and rot.

Thanks for the pics.

You've built an excellent deck frame but why didn't you build it to match the dimensions of the shed outline? I presume that the metal frame is part of a self erect kit?

Thing is, you now have a situation where the deck edges will have to be extensively flashed to protect against damp and rot.

Thanks, Its my first ever build of anything really. It's really solid. its 4x4 fence posts concreted 20 inches deep. Should be solid enough.
I just was so paranoid about making it too small and didnt think that too big would be a problem ( :p
Yes thats the frame of the metal self build shed. On the right of the photo, that wider space, I'm going to build a "lean-to" shed there to house the lawnmower and bike etc. So its just the long edges that I need to worry about. Whats your recommendations then? PVA the edges and exterior wood paint on the top then edges? (Inside the shed I was going to do epoxy garage floor paint).

P.S. I only plan to live here for another 5 years MAX. So if its lasts that long ill be happy.

Why not push the self build shed to the edges of the deck where projecting OSB wont be a difficulty?
And then build your lean-to on the other side and once again bring it to the edges of the deck?

google pics of timber frame structures at the sole plate or mud cill area.

Why not push the self build shed to the edges of the deck where projecting OSB wont be a difficulty?
And then build your lean-to on the other side and once again bring it to the edges of the deck?

google pics of timber frame structures at the sole plate or mud cill area.

No matter what I do there will still be exposed areas. The shed isnt wide enough. Also the shed kind of has to go there as the door is in the right place and there is a drain for a sink and power coming up which I want close to the shed wall.

In the long run I think you'll be glad if you bite the bullet now and rebuild it the right size.

Also, how high is it?

screenshot_90.jpg

At that area there it's about a meter off the ground. No way I could resize it. That's huge work and expense. I've been out today and sealed all the edges with thick pva and have bought cuprinol shades paint to go over the exposed areas, it's like a latex based wood paint. I'm sure that will hold up for a good few years. If not, I'll come back and you can say told you so.

i would be thinking of more conventional outdoor flooring than just painting it.

you could go to the extremes of a membrane surfaced with anything from tiling to artificial grass...or even real grass come to think of it.

something thin and non slip right?

How about sheet DPM, covered with offcuts of decking board around the edge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back