rubbing up new concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got my concrete in yesterday. Today it's reasonably firm and no ponding water. Can I rub it up with a steel trowel to smooth out the tamping marks? I tried a test patch which seemed to bring some water and sand to the surface as it smoothed, but I don't want to cause any damage to the concrete surface if this isn't the right thing to be doing!

Sponsored Links
You can trowel it up using your steel float, let the surface water evaporate then use a wooden or nylon float to give it a final rub.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So this isn't going to make the concrete surface more fragile? Where it's dried already it's almost glossy, whereas rubbing it up gives it a grainy appearance and leaves some loose sand on the surface.

The firmness of the concrete after 18 hours is such that if I press my finger into it, it leaves only a feint impression.

All you are doing is ironing out the trowel lines indentations etc, it will have no adverse effect on the strength or stability of the finished surface once cured.

Sponsored Links
Must have been a weak mix. Normally after 18 hours steel trowelling is not possible and it shouldn't be.

I was able to rub out the tamping marks with the trowel with a bit of effort, which worked up a sort of slurry on the surface which I smoothed off. Should I be concerned? If it's hard by tomorrow will it be ok? It's pretty cool and damp here, though it's indoors.

(edit) I can easily push the sharp edge of my trowel into the concrete still - 30 hours after it was laid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back