Warm roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand the difference in construction between a warm (flat) roof and a cold roof. I've insulated both (cold and ventilated in the case of a loft conversion - ok, not flat but the same principle), and warm in the case of an outbuilding renovation.

But I'm having a rush of blood to the brain, I think. ... sitting here today, I can't get my head round the need for ventilation in a cold, flat roof, with an intact vapour barrier above the plasterboard. If warm moist air can't rise into the roof from below, and condense, and the roof covering is also intact, how can moisture get into the timber of the roof structure, and need to be ventilated away? What's the issue with packing the insulation between the joists, up against the top deck?

Sigh.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I can't get my head round the need for ventilation in a cold, flat roof, with an intact vapour barrier above the plasterboard. If warm moist air can't rise into the roof from below, and condense, and the roof covering is also intact, how can moisture get into the timber of the roof structure, and need to be ventilated away?
Maybe you can't guarantee that moisture will never get in, given that the structural elements will suffer from thermal movement all the time?

Are you planning to build a cold roof? I thought they were deprecated?

What's the issue with packing the insulation between the joists, up against the top deck?
No ventilation.

A vapour barrier, with the best will in the world is not impermeable to vapour, there are hundreds of fixing penetrations, and laps where they join, the perimeter to wall junction, and add some crappy workmanship in to boot.

Thanks both - that was the only reason I could think of.

I still want to know what you've got against sheds.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Sorry - meant to reply to that before.

I mean this:

banfv7.jpg

not this:

2013_11_12_46_54246b01e1ea95203662.jpg

;)

That's all very well but where am I going to get a plug socket on a bank holiday Monday or after work one day?

Convenience is the name of the game.

Well - on a more serious note there is absolutely no reason why a store which is open on Bank Holidays and evenings has to also be a store with insufficient and ignorant employees, which sells stuff that is utter s***e and which employs buyers to scour the world for the cheapest, nastiest tat they can find.

It's not their opening times which I object to.

Hmm, no reason to ban them though, plenty of retailers sell overpriced rubbish. Plenty of their stuff is OK, if over priced.

It's too late anyway - they have successfully brainwashed the vast majority of people into thinking that when you buy timber it should be ready-shaped for making propellors, for example, or that an 8x4 sheet of 18mm chipboard should be light enough for one person to carry, and so on.

It's too late anyway - they have successfully brainwashed the vast majority of people into thinking that when you buy timber it should be ready-shaped for making propellors, for example, or that an 8x4 sheet of 18mm chipboard should be light enough for one person to carry, and so on.

But whenever we go to a builder's merchant we are still complicit in the survival of the sheds - Travis Perkins and Wickes, for example.

No-one is innocent ;)

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back