Will Building Control Spot Cowboy Builder & Project Mana

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just trying to get an idea of what BC will do - I want to build a single storey extension

I bought a book and can see the steps required to do the extension

If I hire a few people for each stage can I rely on building control to spot problems or will they only take a cursory glance?

For example will they check flashing was used when the roof goes up and that damp proof of walls has happened?

Gneerally interested in whether thats possible!

Sponsored Links
you and your builders are responsible for building the thing properly.

If you and your builders are incompetent or can't be trusted to do that, find someone who can; and/or pay a lot of money to somebody else to supervise them continously and in great detail.

Untrustworthy people will bodge whenever your back is turned.

A BCO will make occasional brief visits at some of the key points.

Aye it is not within BC to check quality of construction through out just a few key stages. That said some will be more proactive than others but you should not rely on this. Get clued up yourself or employ someone who is.

It will vary from local authority to local authority and from officer to officer.

In my experience, if you're making a full-plans submission (I advise you take this route if you're new to the game) then they'll look at the plans in a good amount of detail, but during the site inspections it's extremely haphazard and random what they do/don't pick up on.

Going the full-plans route will also force you to think through exactly what you're doing, ask questions up front, and minimise your on-the-job surprises that might result in re-work.

Gary

Sponsored Links
Just bear in mind it is possible to do a crap job but comply with building regs.

Most builders will run rings around anybody that shows the slightest hesitation. If you're not sure youreself, and not 100% confident in your builder, employ somebody to monitor the job for you. It's a small cost (in the scheme of things) for peace of mind.

maybe if you employ a decent builder (who will be capable of PM'ing a smaller project), then at least you only have one person to worry about and one to hold to account?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back