Having a nightmare with Polyurethane Varnish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

Not really a house DIY question because I'm building some model radio control boats with wooden hulls for the first time and I'm looking for a suitable varnish.

I've tried Rustins Extra Tough Polyurethane Varnish which I sprayed on with an airgun and although the finish I got was superb, the varnish turned a distinctive sickly yellow tinge which isn't what I want at all.

I then tried Manns Floor Varnish which dried crystal clear but when I wet and dried it with 2000 grit, it started flaking off so it's obviously not waterproof which is no good either.

I've tried asking on model boat forums but without luck so far, they're all either a bit secretive about what they use and it's like drawing blood from a stone or they have suggested very expensive 2 pack epoxy type coatings.

Any suggestions that might fit the bill would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back