Painted over plaster skim. Not a great finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had my artex ceiling skimmed. I've never had that done, so I didn't really know whether the plasterer had done a very good job or not. It looked allright. Few marks that looked sandable. I then mist coated it with thinned out paint. A lot more imperfections appeared. I sanded any visible protrusions. Filling in every recess seemed like a very very long job. I thought maybe after 2 coats of emulsion it would look a bit better.

So I've got one mist coat, 2 coats of emulsion and I think it doesn't look great. I would like a really smooth finish, but when the spot lights are off, the ceiling is visibly imperfect and cloudy. I've attached some pictures.

What are my options if I wanted smoother aside from replastering? Should I :
* Keep adding emulsion coats , it will reduce the cloudiness
* Use some sort of polyfill basecoat and apply 2 coats with emulsiom
* Use lining paper and recoat with paint until good finish. Will lining paper hide imperfections well

Anything else I can do?

Sponsored Links
Thats **** poor plastering.

Lining will be better than it looks now if its done properly but getting a decent plasterer to skim it again would be best, doubt you'll be able to get anything out the original guy

Thanks for the reply.

I think I will go for lining and see how it looks.

The guy was pretty messy as well. Assuming I would go for a good plasterer, would he be able to protect my painted walls and furniture, or is plastering just inherently very messy.

Sponsored Links
OK, we will finish everything else and have the living room and master bedroom reskimmed next time we're out of town for a few days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back