Painting plaster walls - timescales - plaster sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've seen lots of threads on this subject but maybe this one is slightly different. I am an amatuer DIYer/decorator so not all the right terminology might be correct.

In mid August, I had some plasterwork done to a damp wall. A week ago, I painted it with plaster sealer. Have I left it long enough to apply this? Some advice is that 6 weeks is enough but i have also been advised to leave the plaster to dry for 6 months.

If I should leave the plaster to dry for 6 months, is it ok with the plaster sealer on it? If not, do i have to remove it? If i can leave it on, do I have to extend the drying period beyond the 6 months?

Thank you for all your advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
If its just a skim the you'll be fine. If a bonding coat has been applied first its then that it takes a lot longer to dry out but you've left enough time if this is the case.
Can't see that you'll have any problems

If its just a skim the you'll be fine. If a bonding coat has been applied first its then that it takes a lot longer to dry out but you've left enough time if this is the case.
Can't see that you'll have any problems

Agreed.

If you have had a full base coat and skim, four months is usually ample time for it to dry unless it is excessively thick or the underlying walls had been damp and required longer to dry following any treatment. You may still find that a few months down the line you will get hairline cracks appearing in the plaster but this is common and not because you haven't left enough time for it to dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back