DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

painting satinwood over emulsion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt1082

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote

Kitchen walls and ceiling are pine clad. Previous owners - to lighten the place up for sale - covered said pine with a layer of light blue emulsion. Probably an improvement on the dark brown wood stain that was on there before, but still not the best idea for a kitchen.

So, I've armed myself with some tins of satinwood and want to paint both the walls and ceiling.

Some questions:

1. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be painting satinwood over emulsion? Just checking...

2. Do I need to sand the wood first? I'd have thought this was a standard "Yes" - the reason I ask is that I've made a start sanding, but the bits I've sanded are turning out smoother/shinier than the original emulsion-covered wood. Can I assume the emulsion will make a decent enough key?

3. Do I need to prime/undercoat at all? The colour we've got in mind for the walls is darker than what's there at the moment, if that's important

ta
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Pigeon85

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote

Ideally you wouldn't paint satinwood on top of emulsion. Before starting you should decide if you will be keeping the cladding for a number of years or is it just a quick fix until you do any refurb.
 Alert Moderators
Matt1082

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote

thanks - neither of us are particularly thrilled with the cladding, but removing it would involve refitting the whole kitchen, which is less than 3 years old and we like alot (other than the pine!) So maybe in 10 years we get rid of the pine, but not for now.

So ideally no satinwood over emulsion. But not really an ideal situation. Can you suggest something that would be better paint-wise? What's going to happen if I put satin on emulsion?
 Alert Moderators
emilybronte

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote

If you put the satin straight onto the emulsion it may not adhere very well.

I suggest you sand it all lightly, give it two coats of Johnstone's waterbased undercoat, followed by one or two coats of water based satinwood.
The following user says thank you to emilybronte for this useful post:
Matt1082 (25 Jun 2013)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: