powder when wiping emulsioned wall with hand?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hihihi - newly plastered walls were painted with matt white emulsion about 3-4 months ago. I've never noticed until someone pointed out that if you brush your hand on the wall, then you get a white powder residue on your hand. Some walls are particularly "powdery" whereas other walls have no powder when hand-wiped....
does anyone know why that is?!

is it a big problem??
do I need to paint the wall with emulsion again?

THANKS A MILL!!x

Sponsored Links
gemma, if the applied emulsion was a contract emulsion this can often appear chalky to the touch, was the plaster skim completley dry prior to painting.

Dec

Dec - that's exactly how it feels "chalky". The builders used Wickes emulsion.... do you think this would tend to be chalky to the touch?

I have a feeling in some rooms they may not have left enough time for the plaster skim to dry properly before painting.... does this also end in this white chalky dust?

Is it a big problem? Is it the emulsion itself that's dusting off? and does that mean another coat needs to be painted? and should i buy another brand other than wickes to stop the "chalk"?
any other solution most appreciated!!
Thanks v much

Sponsored Links
gemma,

Applying emulsion to damp plaster can and will often cause this to happen, this time go for trade emulsion. lightly sand the walls and dust off, apply your first coat thinned approx 10% and subsequent coats approx 5%.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back