Stripped wallpaper, found this below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been stripping wallpaper off and came across this in the corner.

Is this something to do with damp or something? It is at a corner and the corner is the outside wall at back of house between the 2 houses (semi-detached). I was wanting to paint this wall. Now I am concerned I will not be able too. Should I just take this off?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Those picture don't really tell me anything.

Could you describe what you found? Is it a fillet of board of some type? As in a form of plaster board or concrete aqua board?

My initial thought would be that at one stage there was damage (maybe damp, maybe physical / mechanical) and that area has had a bit of replacement done.

Looking at the general area that wall doesn't look in good order for a smooth paint finish. Maybe you should consider getting it skimmed first?

If there's no obvious damp, if your okay about the rough look of the wall, then there's no reason why it can't be painted.

All the walls in this room are solid wall. (house built 1975).

It looks like tinfoil basically. It is on top of the paint undercoat.

The walls are actually not too bad. On another wall the undercoat paint that was put on the plaster was coming off.. so ended up just peeling all that off on that wall, and I'm considering just taking off the undercoat paint on the wall in the picture as well, but means that tinfoil stuff comes off. I have found it in a few places. Thats the biggest area. There was a much smaller bit in the other corner of that wall (its the south facing back of house wall).

I took some of the tinfoil stuff off in another corner by accident as I was simply peeling back the undercoat paint off the walls. The plaster underneath seems fine.

So I just don't understand what it is and why its there?

Is it foil insulation / reflective stuff that you might have behind a radiator. Are the locations you've found it possibly old radiator positions?

Sponsored Links
It's bog standard kitchen foil. It's probably been put there to combat mould from condensation build up in the corner(s) of the room(s). I've reluctantly applied some myself in the past, at the request of a customer, and was surprised to find that it did help a bit.

You can get proper anti damp foil which has a bitumen type backing but judging by the jagged edge on the smaller piece of yours, I'm pretty sure it's just what was left on the roll after cooking a Christmas turkey one year! :LOL:

I would just remove it and see what is underneath. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you found staining from previous mould.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back