Wallpapering over plasterboard - sizing/primer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In one of our rooms two walls are external and are plastered and painted. Obviously I'll size these before I hang the wallpaper.

The other two walls are plasterboard/drywalls. What preparation is needed before I hang the wallpaper? Oil-based primer/sealer? Which one is best (links if possible)? I presume I still size the wall after?

I intend to hang lining paper first - does this need to be sized before the wallpaper goes on?

Many thanks,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
Well you can seal the boards with a slightly thinned emulsion yet I prefer gyproc drywall primer, I then apply a thinned wallpaper paste and hang the paper. Lining paper provides the perfect base for either paint or paper and sizing it is not required.

Dec

Cheers, Dec.

I've got tubs of trade matt emulsion so that's the boards sorted then. Any recommendations for lining paper? Boards are going to be pretty good when I've sanded the filler so I'm thinking 1000 grade? B&Q stuff has got good reviews (on their website!) - is it actually any good or avoid like the plague?

Paul.

Sponsored Links
If you think that 1000 grade will do it that's fine, bit difficult to say without being able to see it, I have used B&Q lining paper and never had any problems with it.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back