what is the advantage of installing low voltage lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here in Malta we pay for the power consumption, therefore we pay for the wattage used and not even power factor could help to save bills. But my question is what's the difference of installing a low voltage light fitting (with a transformer) other than connect a 240V fitting direct to the main voltage if in the end the fitting is of the same power (wattage)?

Is it better to buy 240V fittings to avoid extra cost in transformers?

Sponsored Links
I'm not an electrician so just a personal comment.

The main thing I see is that it allows you to install lights where the feed is unprotected i.e. you can have lights hanging off - and fed by - steel wires without danger.

You might do this for reasons of style or cannot hide normal insulated- wires in an acceptable fashion.

In areas where safety is particularly important i,e, bathrooms, 12V lighting may be acceptable in areas where 250V is not.

The claimed advantage of 12 Volt fittings is a stable supply voltage prolonging lamp life and giving a better colour light.

However, halogen spotlights are a hopelessly inefficient way of lighting a room when compared with other lighting technologies. IMO halogen spotlights are poor even compared with conventional tungsten lamps.

If you are trying to trim your energy bills you are much better off investigating fluorescent lamps, compact fluorescents or LED lighting.

Sponsored Links
Back