3 core cable into normal light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to replace a kitchen flourescent light with a normal light fitting. However, the cable coming through the ceiling is a 3 core cable (with earth), and I thought they were normally 2 core?

Is it OK to just ignore the earth cable and put the other 2 into a normal light fitting or should I be looking for a fitting which takes 3 cables?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
So, you have a twin and earth cable?

Red, Black and bare copper with sleeving on it?

And you want to fit a light fitting with no earth connection?

Does this fitting have somewhere to terminate the earth wire?

Can you post pictures?

Hi,

I'm about to replace a kitchen flourescent light with a normal light fitting. However, the cable coming through the ceiling is a 3 core cable (with earth), and I thought they were normally 2 core?

Is it OK to just ignore the earth cable and put the other 2 into a normal light fitting or should I be looking for a fitting which takes 3 cables?

Cheers
Do you have Twin cores and earth (red/brown, black/blue and earth) or three cores and earth(red/brown, yellow/grey, blue/black and earth)?

If you have Twin and earth and you are replacing the kitchen light (with Live, Neutral and earth) with a ceiling rose arrangement then you need to put the Live in the ceiling rose pendant live, the Neutral in the ceiling rose pendant neutral and the earth in earth terminal with appropriate sleeving.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. Can't provide a picture sorry, but the cable coming through the ceiling is a 3 core cable: 1xred, 1xblack and 1xgreen/yellow.

So what I was asking really, was it it OK to use a light fitting (that I already have) that only takes 2 wires and just ignore the earth?

Or do I need to buy a new light fitting that has a space for all 3 wires?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for the replies so far. Can't provide a picture sorry, but the cable coming through the ceiling is a 3 core cable: 1xred, 1xblack and 1xgreen/yellow.
So what I was asking really, was it it OK to use a light fitting (that I already have) that only takes 2 wires and just ignore the earth?
Or do I need to buy a new light fitting that has a space for all 3 wires?
Thanks
You have Twin and Earth cable - assuming red is switch live, black is neutral and green/yellow is earth.
You do not need to use the earth cable for light fittings provided that they are Class 2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes#Class_II
If your spare light fitting is class 2 rated then make sure you terminate the earth cable in a terminal block and cover with tape to avoid unwanted contact.

If your new fitting does not have an earth terminal then you can fit a small choc block to the end and tuck it back.

You keep asking about the earth - that's irrelevant, as you either must use it or not need it, irrespective of whether the cable is twin & earth or 3-core & earth.
the cable coming through the ceiling is a 3 core cable (with earth)
Where are each of the cores currently connected? If you don't replicate what's there then things might stop working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back