All RCBO Consumer Unit - Hagar vs. Curve vs. MK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a consumer unit and a thread on here a while ago seemed recommend Hagar units, but I can't find one that's populated with RCBOs. Cheap isn't high priority (although obviously a consideration), but quality of the unit and ease of install is. (This is for my own home)

Here's what'll be in it:

100A main switch
Outside RCD socket MCB 16A T&E 2.5mm SWA
Cooker RCBO 40A T&E 6mm
Cellar sockets RCBO 32A T&E 2.5mm
Downstairs sockets RCBO 32A T&E 2.5mm
Upstairs sockets RCBO 32A T&E 2.5mm
Cellar lighting RCBO 6A T&E 1.5mm
Downstairs sockets RCBO 6A T&E 1.5mm
Upstairs sockets RCBO 6A T&E 1.5mm

As it's an all RCBO install so a little more space would be preferable. The three options I'm considering are:

Curve, populated - £105
http://www.denmans.co.uk/downloads_public/Curve-Consumer-Units.pdf

MK, populated - £127
http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/mk-10way-populated-rcbo-board-c-w-8-rcbo-s.html

Hagar, unpopulated - £211 (7 * £25 RCBO + £6 MCB + £30 CU)
http://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com...urce=google&utm_medium=shop&utm_campaign=feed

The Curve seems spacious and suitable, but (I'll be honest) I've not heard of Curve before and that worries me a bit.

What do you guys reckon? Any opinions or advice appreciated. :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I prefer Hager.

However, the other two are special offers.

Denmans used to do/be Steeple so I assume Curve is the new Steeple.
I have not used one.

Denmans CU's did indeed used to be Steeple, in the old days they were GE. These new curve ones are made by Control Gear Direct.

Lots of folk have ripped them to bits, however, my experience of them as a company have been positive.

I also like the Curve, as there is lots of headroom (room between the top of the RCBO's and the busbars) for the RCBO's and they appear to be the first board that I have seen on the market to address this issue.

It's all very well designing taller RCBO's then proudly proclaiming they fit into your existing range, but not practically, they don't.

Hager are a good example: they are fantastic quality, I love them, but having put together several fully populated RCBO boards, there is very little headroom in them.

I notice that the Curve and Control Gear have the Lewden logo.

Can't keep up with who owns what or which these days.

Sponsored Links
Does that mean Lewden own CGD or has Lewden come down in the world?

dontgetit.gif

Hmm. That's a shame about the Curve. They look like they have a fantastic amount of space up top. I'm a bit worried about the amount of space in the Hagar CU. I'll see if I can find some internal dimensions.

Don't go Hagar - you'll never comfortably fit the cables in - and they have those c*appy plastic screws for the front cover.

Wylex metal clad - tonnes of room....

MEM

It seems to me the 2000 (square enclosure) is more roomy than the 2000AD (curvy).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back