Ceiling isolator switch turns off when I turn my shower on ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Gainsborough electric shower and works fine - as far as I can tell.
The ceiling isolator cord also worked ok until this morning.

When I pull to turn it on the neon light lights up - but when I press the on button on my shower the light turns off ?

I have checked my shower, taken the cover off and checked the safety switch hasnt kicked in and hasnt.

Anyone have any ideas ? I changed the isolator switch 3 months ago (looked burnt out as it broke then). I have looked today and looks fine.

Also I bought another isolator switch but it only has 4 wire holes instead of 6. Is this normal ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere, it could be in the isolator or could be in the consumer unit.

Don't know about the 4 or 6 wire thing - shower isolators usually have 4 holes for the live and neutral wires and two earth terminals.
Fan isolators have 6 holes for live wires but they would toast if you put a shower on it!
Can you upload some pics?

Thanks for your replies.
It now works.

My fault in terms of the isolator switch does
have 6 holes for wires...inc the green & yellow.

Still a bit miffed why it cuts out.
Thanks for your interest.

Sponsored Links
most likely a bad connection in the isolator terminal

you say it overheated before, so the copper core of the cable has probably been softened by heat and will fail again. It needs to be cut back to hard bright copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back