Changing the fuse in a fused connection unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel a bit silly asking this but...

I'm trying to change the fuse in a fused connection unit. It's one of the ones where you have to undo a screw to get the fuse out, not just lever it with a screwdriver. The plastic bit that slides out and holds the fuse just won't go back in again.

I've got the thing out but now I can't get it back in again. I've tried just turning the screw in the opposite direction, I've tried pushing the plastic bit back in, and I've tried doing both at once, but nothing works.

Any suggestions?

It's one of these:
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...nection-Unit-Spur-With-Neon-White-13A-9289779

Sponsored Links
Make sure the fuse is correctly seated in the holder and pop it back into the faceplate. Push it firmly into the faceplate while turning the screw clockwise. It should take the holder in by itself and secure it.

Should be as simple as that; the MK units are designed to be extremely easy to use.

Pushing firmly while turning the screw didn't do it, but a whack with the handle of my hammer did!

I think it must have been a bit broken in the first place. Probably needs replacing really.

And now you are possibly with a damaged fuse hOlder and a fuse not seated properly arcing away... I'd get it changed if I were you.

Sponsored Links
I have had exactly this problem over the weekend with a brand new MK FCU I just fitted. They come with a 13A fuse as standard, and my application required 3A. I got the old fuse out, but could not for the life of me get the little plastic drawer thing back in (even when I tried it with no fuse).

Unfortunately I too tried the hammer treatment (cushioned with a glossy magazine).........and broke the faceplate right in two.

I am going to Screwfix in the next day or two to see if they will agree to replace it. If they give me another MK one I'm going to try it in the shop before I take it home.

Every timer I come across a Logic + MK FCU, I shudder. Their fuse carrier mechanisms are really badly built.

Every timer I come across a Logic + MK FCU, I shudder. Their fuse carrier mechanisms are really badly built.

They are a bit tricky. Make sure fuse is in middle of holder, push in firmly and turn screw anti-clockwise so that the thread cams into place, then turn screw clockwise to fasten and pull holder in.

it's all in the wrist action....

You need to push in the fuse carrier pretty firmly and quite far - it will give a little 'click' and then screw up tight

SB

;)

I've had trouble with every single one I've worked on.

Now when I see one, I just sigh, go back to the van & replace it.

I have one on both my immersion and central heating, I don't recall having any problems with them, You just need to apply steady thumb pressure to the Centre of the fuse drawer, whilst Gently turning the screw clockwise, you will feel the screw engage, and keep rotating the screw with thumb pressure on the drawer, till all is seated fully home. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

5649269101_0553c87bab.jpg

I agree that you *should* be able to do exactly as people here are saying - apply thumb pressure and turn the screw. But it seems some are faulty. The issue I had with mine is that, however hard I pressed and at whatever angle, there was still about 0.5mm left to go before the screw would have been able to engage. It was like something was jammed in behind the tray, preventing it from going further.

Can anyone help. I 've unscrewed the plastic bit that holds the fuse, but I can't work out how to get the fuse out. Is the plastic 'draw' the fuse is in supposed to come out completely? Any help would be much appreciated!

No it doesnt come out completely
Push the fuse from one end its in the plastic tube

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back