Is there a double sized fused connection unit available??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After getting some help resolving an oven installation query, from several members of this forum, I thought I would try my luck again.

I have spent a good few hours looking for something, I dont even think exists, there is an obvious workaround, but it would be easier if there was exactly what I needed...

Im after a 13a fused switched connection unit, that will fit a double backbox... at present there is a cooker switched/single socket, which is not being used... courtesy of a recent oven install (which has been discussed on a nother post).

The oven is 13a, and is wired into a socket behind the oven, so I have no single point of local isolation within the kitchen, from which I can turn the power off - other than flicking the switch at the fuse box, and losing the main circuit.

I assumed we oculd simply wire this into the cooker control unit, but this is on its own ciruit and is a 30a, so I need to fuse down via a fused connection unit. I could change the fuse at the source, as its a isolated circuit for the cooker, but the fusebox is a very old dorman smith, so I doubt if i can get any parts for it.

My options are to remove the existing cooker control unit, in favour of a switched fused connection unit, however, these seem to be single sized plates, where the cooker control unit is a double. As we have recently had kitchen done, I would rather find a suitable double, than replace the existing with a single, and have to fill in the gap, which could look quite messy....

This is purely for cosmetic reasons... so does anyone know if a double plate exists, with a switched fused connection unit, and maybe a socket...??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
In no particular order of merit:

1) Keep the CCU, and plug the oven into its socket

2) Carefully enlarge the hole a little and fit a dual accessory box

3) Use a 3- or 4-module grid plate.

you can get switches and fuses for grid boxes and a 3 or 4 module grid plate fits a double box (you can get blank modules btw)

unfortunately you can't get british sockets for most grid ranges though there is a range from GET plc called rocca modular for which you can (might be difficult to get hold of though).

Sponsored Links
could you not use the ccu as an isolator and install 2 (perhaps in a twin pattress) FCU's down behind the cooker?

ie. Consumer Unit -> Cooker CU -> (via 2 bits of 2.5 T+E) -> 2 * FCUs -> Oven & Hob

Then you have the 30A spur with a DP isolator in the CCU and each appliance will be protected by it's own 13A fuse in the FCU

I could connect a fcu behind the oven, but does this not defeat the object... if the fuse ever goes, you would have to pull the oven out to replace it... this is the asiest solution, but is it practical? Although I would imagine this is quite rare..??

There is currently a blanked off termination socket behind the oven, along with a socket used for the hob, but it just seems daft to me to have them behind the oven....??

Thanks for your advice....:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back