DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Continuity Assistance - Lighting Circuit with readings!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
holmslaw

from Vanuatu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote

Last edited by holmslaw on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total
The following user says thank you to holmslaw for this useful post:
dizz (13 Mar 2012)
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
riveralt

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote

dizz wrote:
Now I'm getting a bit hacked off - Continuity on the circuits, and finnaly started to attck the ring. Cross connect CPC and neutral at the CU and took a reading of 0.85 ohms. Checking for bridges, so cross connect both phase and neutral at CU, and go round the sockets, 0.21, 0.24, 1.74, 0.22, 1.55, ... and on one double socket I get a reading of 0.22, and on the same socket, over 1 ohm. Click the switches and the reading changes a bit, sometimes I can get it down to just over 0.2 ... it's all looking a bit problematic.

We have had this discussion before.....
If you are going to conduct tests do them properly in the proper order.
What where you end to end readings? r1 r2 rn.

Do the cross connect (figure of eight) readings equate to 1/4 r1+r2?
What radials do you have running off the ring final circuit - the end of which can give you higher readings.
 Alert Moderators
dizz

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Hi Riveralt - R1+R2 was 0.85 ohms as stated, now I'm moving on by cross connecting L1/N2 and L2/N1 at the CU, which is about 0.21, a quarter of the 0.85 I was getting!

HOWEVER, the pertinent "discussion" we had before though was when you said "BTW new switches are sometimes sticky and a few seconds flicking them on and off sometimes clears the cobwebs".

After doing what Holmslaw suggested by connecting the probes together and "wiggling" the wires, it revealed nothing, the reading was as solid as a rock - so I thought I'd flick the switches a number of times (and I mean a number - it took about 40-50 switches to "clear the cobwebs"), and now I get readings between 0.19 and 0.23 on every socket.

I guess that the manufacturing process might mean that some sort of coating gets on the metal which adds resistance, and the constant flicking of the switches wears that away??!!, until you get a perfect connection??!!

PS - only have two "small" spurs from the ring, which increased the reading to 0.25/0.26

ADDED - Sorry meant R1 + R2 = 0.85/4 - no haven't done r1, r2, rn separately!! oops
 Alert Moderators
RF Lighting

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote

riveralt wrote:
We have had this discussion before.....
If you are going to conduct tests do them properly in the proper order.
 Alert Moderators
17thman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote

dizz wrote:
Hi Riveralt - R1+R2 was 0.85 ohms as stated, now I'm moving on by cross connecting L1/N2 and L2/N1 at the CU, which is about 0.21, a quarter of the 0.85 I was getting!

R1 +R2 is the resistance of the line conductor(s) and cpc(s). if you have .85 ohms as a R1 + R2 on a ring final socket circuit then you really need to check your supply type as its its sqeeky bum time if you are measuring at non operational temperatures.

Secondly, if you are cross linking Line and Neutral and comnparing it with R1 + R2 without knowing r1 r2 and rn, what is it worth.

consider not correctly crossing L and E then the measurements wiill differ depending on where in the circuit you measure.
 Alert Moderators
dizz

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote

Thanks 17thman - I was quoting R1 and R2 loosely - from my post, that was the reading of the L2-N1 reading from cross connect of L1-N2 at the board, so R1+R2 should be 1/4 of 0.85 ohms, so when I do the external loop I hope that it won't be "sqeeky bum time".

Regarding the Zs - I plan to measure the Zs for the ring and radial, as I have a plug, but for the other circuits I plan to just add the R1+R2 to the Ze - is that acceptable, and normal practice?
 Alert Moderators
kevindgas

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote

@dizz, yes i've had a few issues with those double sockets and now don't buy them. buy from TLC now as although still cheap switches are slightly better quality and their cable is cheaper too!
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: