Delay in lights coming on after replacing Transformer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year all!

Just need some advice! I have 2 ceiling light fittings (halogen G4 bulbs) & one stopped working! Double switch.

So I replaced the transformer & it now works but there is about a 10-15 seconds delay in the light coming on when I press the switch ?

Is this due to the new transformer being faulty or is this symptoms of something else that is wrong (i.e wired it up wrong)?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Does the wattage of the lamp exceed the minimum wattage of the new transformer

If a dimmer switch is the transformer and dimmer compatible

Does the wattage of the lamp exceed the minimum wattage of the new transformer

If a dimmer switch is the transformer and dimmer compatible

I purchased the same transformer (same model number)!

Model SET105CV (35-105W)

Looking at both, the only difference is:

New:
Prim:230-240V 50/60Hz 0.46A 0.97

Old:
Prim:220-240V 50Hz 0.47A 0.98

It's not on a dimmer switch.

Just need some advice! I have 2 ceiling light fittings (halogen G4 bulbs) & one stopped working! Double switch.

Cheers

So both lamps are wired to the same transformer, but one stopped working. and you say there on a double switch.

Does this mean you are using the switch to control the secondary of the transformer?

If so this is not the correct set up

Sponsored Links

Cheers

So both lamps are wired to the same transformer, but one stopped working. and you say there on a double switch.

Does this mean you are using the switch to control the secondary of the transformer?

If so this is not the correct set up

Sorry, the other light is working fine (didn't really need to mention it).

The lights have it's own transformer inside & they are both hooked up to a standard double switch!

It's strange why this new one has got a delay? Once finally on, if I switch that light off & turn it back on within 5-7 seconds, the light comes on instantly!

But leave it off for longer.... the delay is back?

G4 lamps are rarely larger than 20 watt though.

So unless you have multiple lamps then the new and even the old transformer were never compatible. [minimum 35 watt]

Im assuming the fitting is multilamp so the wattage is critical and by fitting say 20watt lamps instead of 10 watt lamps you could do irreversible damage to the transformer.

Some of these fittings use the fitting itself to conduct the electricity to the lampholders if so it could be a poor connection to a part of the fitting that is common to all the lampholders

G4 lamps are rarely larger than 20 watt though.

So unless you have multiple lamps then the new and even the old transformer were never compatible. [minimum 35 watt]

Im assuming the fitting is multilamp so the wattage is critical and by fitting say 20watt lamps instead of 10 watt lamps you could do irreversible damage to the transformer.

Some of these fittings use the fitting itself to conduct the electricity to the lampholders if so it could be a poor connection to a part of the fitting that is common to all the lampholders

Here's some pictures. It's a 10 arm lamp & all the bulbs I believe are 10w.

New transformer:

Picture005.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Old transformer:

Picture004.jpg

Where would be the poor connection? I've made sure the connections to the transformer are good!?

Could it be the earth going to the actual fitting?[/img]

The fitting should not be earthed. The transformer is Class II.
EDIT: The fitting should be earthed! Just looked at the pictures and you have an earth connection to make. Still does not explain the strange behaviour though.........

BTW Where did you buy the replacement transformer?

The fitting should not be earthed. The transformer is Class II.

BTW Where did you buy the replacement transformer?

What is a Class II transformer? (don't know much about this stuff - thought it'll be a simple swap)?

Got the transformer off ebay - seems a good seller!?

I have seen loads of fittings with SELV trannies in them that have an earth connection to the body of the fitting and they have all left the factory like that.

Either the new transformer is faulty (somewhet unlikely given that it appears to work), or some/all of the lamps (bulbs) are not 10w.

Take half of the lamps out and see what happens then.

Either the new transformer is faulty (somewhet unlikely given that it appears to work), or some/all of the lamps (bulbs) are not 10w.

Take half of the lamps out and see what happens then.

I checked the wiring again....

Looked at every bulb & found 2 that were 20W!!!!

Put it all together again & to my pleasure....... switched on the lights & instant light!

Thanks for all your help!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back