Do cookers require fused spur connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Son-in-law has a 3860 watt Electric cooker fed from a 16 amp wylex mcb/rcbo consumer unit via 6mm twin & earth to a 45A DP isolating switch. This switch is then 'hard wired' to the cooker.
My question is ; Should this cicuit have a fused spur in it? It seems to me that solid fuses are not required with the (better?) protection of the mcb/rcbo). Regards to all Electricians everywhere!

Sponsored Links
No the maximum size of fuse in a FCU is 13A and many ovens are larger than 13A so not possible to use a FCU. Where the supply is well oversized and supplies both a hob and oven then to reduce the cable size to the oven a FCU is often used but in your case only 16A anyway so it is not required.

Many thanks Ericmark for your speedy and informative reply.
I didn't think so but it seems the new regs are still confusing most people.

Sponsored Links
There are no "new" regs relating to this.

The cooker's maximum current draw is about 16amps.
The mcb is 16amps.

You do not say what size cable runs from the CU to the cooker but it will be fine assuming it is 2.5mm² or greater.

What do the manufacturer's instructions say re the electrical feed to the cooker?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back