cooker & hob connection

yes, my point - and also with larger cable may be a higher rated MCB.
Yes - although, as I said, the MCB size could conceivably be specified so as to limit the extent of damage to the (inadequately internally protected) appliance should it develop a fault.
Also, as I have said before, is it in a shower manufacturers remit to demand an RCD. I know it is a good idea and you would not want it to be without but is it the manufacturers responsibility when it is nothing to do with their product.
I suppose there is no law preventing the manufacturer from making whatever 'demands' they may wish in their instructions. Indeed, manufacturers may often feel (and I would often agree) that they are simply being 'responsible' when they give sensible 'instructions' regarding the safe use of their product (e.g. "you must not use this hair dryer whilst in the bath").

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thread revival here.

Actually going to be installing the hob and double oven at long last. Hob's been fitted in the worktop for sometime but have only just got the double oven.

So, when I got the hob, the wiring connectors were a bit confusing. I believe it may be designed for alternative use with up to 3 phase wiring. There are 5 connectors on the hob. The installation guide has this information:

Supply voltage .....Conductors (number and size)
230 V ~ ...... 3 X 2.5 mm2
230 V 3 ~ + ...... 4 X 1.5 mm2
400 V 3N ~ + ...... 5 X 1.5 mm2
400 V 2N ~ + ...... 4 X 1.5 mm2

On the hob's electrical connectors cover it has a number of alternative diagrams depending on the type of wiring, with one stating "to be done in the U.K." which appears to be for connecting one line and one neutral:

However, in the diagram you can see that the electrical connectors have been linked together? What is the correct way to do this?

Also unsure because of the instruction sheet stating to use 3 x 2.5mm conductors? I would be using 6mm because of the 45A circuit.

======

The oven is more straight forward, having one connector each for line, neutral, and earth, also with the following information:

"The appliance must be installed using a double pole control unit of 32 ampere minimum capacity separation at all poles." - we have DP 45A switch so that is fine.

"Connection should be made with suitable twin & earth flexible cable,
minimum 4mm² , which is suitable for use up to 25 amps." - as we have a 45A MCB we would need to use 6mm flex, I presume.

======

So this is where my mind is:

45A MCB >>> 6mm T&E >>> 45A DP Cooker Switch with socket >>> 6mm T&E >>> 45A Cooker Connection dual outlet plate >>> 6mm flex T&E (x2) >>> 1. Cooker / 2. Hob

Presuming that is correct as per earlier posts, the only part which I'm unsure of is the wiring connectors to the hob.

Ok so i had a look, there are bus bars connecting the terminals...

So my query is just what cable to use, as there are 3 line terminals and 2 neutral terminals. I doubt that I could easily fit a 6mm cable into any of these terminals, although it might be possible. My intuition from reading the instructions is that I need to use 3 parallel 2.5mm T&E flexes, putting the line from each into each of the 3 line terminals, and spread the neutrals between the 2 neutral terminals...

Since the terminals are relatively small I don't think they are designed to take a single 6mm cable carrying up to 45A in just one of them.... 45A terminals are usually much larger?

Having 3 x 2.5mm cables to spread the current should provide the required capacity for the 45A circuit?

End up with:

45A MCB >>> 6mm T&E >>> 45A DP Cooker Switch with socket >>> 6mm T&E >>> 45A Cooker Connection dual outlet plate >>> 1 / 2

1 = >>> 6mm flex T&E >>> double oven
2 = >>> 3 x 2.5mm flex T&E >>> hob

?

Or just squeeze the 6mm cable for the hob into a single line and neutral terminal?

It is confusing because the instructions stating that 3 x 2.5mm cables should be used, but looking at those diagrams on the hob again, it is implying only one cable for the UK... (UK one has "L" and "N", while the alternative diagrams have "L1", "L2", etc.)

Sponsored Links
The instructions cater for different countries and methods.

4mm² flex will be adequate for the hob.
Leave the bridge connectors in place.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back