Impact of induction hob on electrics

Sponsored Links
Final question - I've checked the cable to the 45A MCB. It is c.15mm x c.6mm in dimension, perhaps a bit bigger. Is that sufficient to say whether it is 10mm2 or not?

I did the original cable run in 1990, but a professional electrician did the connections. When we had the kitchen redone in 2003, the wiring was done professionally, so I am hopeful that it will be easy to graft on a link to the new hob.

Final question - I've checked the cable to the 45A MCB. It is c.15mm x c.6mm in dimension, perhaps a bit bigger.

That appears to be 6mm² which will be ok as long as it avoids thermal insulation. And the 45A mcb should be downrated to a 32A mcb.

Sponsored Links
Look at the earth conductor in your cable. In a 6mm² cable it is solid. In a 10mm² cable it is stranded.

what have you got?

What difference does it make?

6mm² is adequate and satisfactory so whether it is 10mm² doesn't matter.

Because I'm a pragmatist, the lower the protection rating the safer the circuit, for a few pounds its a bit safer.

Can someone advise the torque setting for mcb screw connections?

I completely disagree with the above comment. I am very pleased to have moved from a dirty gas hob that is difficult to clean to a wonderful flat induction hob that has a removeable magnetic control knob. this means that the hob surface is a flat piece of glass set onto the worktop. So cleaning is a simple wipe. In addition to its cleaning ability, it is very very responsive and controllable. A pan coming to the boil can be turned to a simmer in an instant. You can set a heat point and it stays there, keep a pan of gravy warm - a piece of cake. Your granny wont singe her arms on the heat as she reaches across the hob to get her glass of sherry, either......

The only slight downside is that you may need to change some of your pans. But the ones you have are probably completely knackered through having been sat on top of a ring of jetted gas for the last few years.

Sorry Sparxxxx. You obviously haven't owned one.

You are correct with the second part of your post.:
Absolutely agree. Don't have mains gas and tank froze over a couple of bad winters. Changed to induction a decade ago and wouldn't move back. It's every bit as responsive as gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back