DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Electric cooker with no plug help please

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
millie92

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Hi I've recently bought an electric cooker, we have a plug for it with its own circuit (i think because it has a seperate switch with a light saying 'cooker')
Can I just say here I am a 19year old girl moving into my first flat and have no idea about wiring and diy stuff icon_eek.gif so excuse my ignorance
Anyways I bought the cooker and it doesnt have a plug to plug into the cooker plug...just a big white wire with 3 seperate wires coming out which I think are blue yellow and brown.
It says on the instructions that it needs to be wired to an fcu with no more than 32A (guesing thats amps???) but would it be ok just attching the wires to a 13amp plug and plugging it in, I can get my dad or someone to do that, or would I need to get an electrician to come out and connect it all properly.
Any help or advice?? Im kinda missing my hot dinners at the moment icon_razz.gif
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
bathjobby

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote

With the level of knowledge display in your post I would definitely say - get an electrician, probably 1 hour or less.
Having said that, so that you understand a little more.........
Do NOT put a plug on it, it is illegal and very dangerous. At best you will blow the fuse (13A in a plug - your cooker needs a 32A supply), at worst, start a fire.
The 'cooker' switch you have will be switching power to the cooker connection which is where your cooker needs attaching. If it is set up for a built in cooker, you will find a white blanking plate over the connection box in the back of the cupboard, or at the rear or where any free standing cooker has been.
Please don't mess with these. You can also look in your Consumer Unit (fuse box) and the individual circuit for the cooker should be marked. Again, follow the instructions, this should be 32A, and no more.
Best get an electrician.
 Alert Moderators
Space cat

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote

As bathjobby says, do NOT put a plug on it. icon_exclaim.gif icon_exclaim.gif icon_exclaim.gif There's no way you'll get that heavy cable into a plug anyway. The socket on your cooker switch is not for the cooker. It's for other things that do have plugs, like mixers, and I would expect it to have its own small switch.

Also as bathjobby says, there will most likely be a connection point for the cooker somewhere, although on some switches the cooker cable can go straight into the bottom of the switch itself. It's a simple enough job for anybody who knows their live from their neutral (which I suspect you don't icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif ); easier in fact than wiring up a new light. The only complication will arise if there's no outlet and no direct entry to the switch either. If that's the case, somebody will have to channel the wall to fit one while cursing whoever did the wiring in the first place! icon_evil.gif icon_evil.gif icon_evil.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: