Electric shower has blown the isolator fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a power shower in the bathroom which pumps weak pressured water into high pressure. The shower uses hot water from the boiler, it does not heat its own water.

Anyway, one morning recently I tried to switch the shower on and nothing happened. No water at all, and no sound at all from the shower. It had worked fine the previous evening and I saw no event that particularly led me to believe it had gone wrong at that moment.

The unit has an isolator switch up in the loft so I took out the fuse from that, a 3 amp, and replaced it with another 3 amp. When I switched the isolator switch back on there was a kind of clicking noise, I think from the shower down below (although as I was up in the loft I'm not too sure). It seemed like the new fuse had immediately blown, and the shower was still dead.

So my question is, is there anything I can check for to see what may be the problem. And if I need an expert, who should I call, an electrician or a plumber?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
need more info. You say its a power shower, but what brand pump is it? what power is the pump?

How did you test the fuse to make sure it had blown and have you checked the replacement fuse to make sure that it has blown as well?

What make/model is it first ?
The motors are useally the cause of these kind of faults.

But without knowing the shower make etc and testing parts of the shower
It can be a few things ie motor, pcb etc.

You need someone who knows showers plumber or spark.
As in both trades some haven't a clue about them or what to check, and
just tell you it's knacked.

Hi there

The model is an Aquatronic Manual Power Shower. Not sure of the precise code (it doesn't say on it). I think it's pretty much this one http://www.wickes.co.uk/aquatronic-manual-power-shower/invt/207294/ it looks the same anyway. It seems like it's a self contained unit with the pump inside and connected to the hot and cold water supplies.

I am not sure how old it is - it was in the house when we bought it last year, but probably 5-10 years.

I have tested the two fuses using a testing meter bought from Maplins. I tested the original 3A one (which has presumably been working fine for the past year) and the replacement 3A one I put in. Both were shown to be dead.

Any tips as to how I can diagnose, and who to call gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So if it's a faulty pump, do I need to buy a new shower and get a plumber to fit it? And how can I verify that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back