External Light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given two swan neck type external light fittings that I would like to use to replace two old fittings I have.

They are JCC Saxon Range.

The wiring diagram shows standard twin and earth set up but the light fittings have three white and one blue wire connected to the compact fluorescent lamp holder.

How do I wire these?

Thanks for any help.

Terry

Sponsored Links
the light fittings have three white and one blue wire connected to the compact fluorescent lamp holder.

This suggests the ballast is missing.
In which case, you can't use it without obtaining and installing the correct ballast.

Where does the diagram show L, N & E connected?

It shows that the wires from the lamp holder are LN & E. And just a straight like for like via a terminal block. Not what I have.

Is this a continental light packaged by JCC incorrectly as a UK fitting?

"This suggests the ballast is missing.
In which case, you can't use it without obtaining and installing the correct ballast."

The fitting comes with a sheathed waterproof 2 ft flexible wiring which i am guessing is for passing through a wall so to me there is no room within the fitting or anywhere else for a ballast. Do compact fluorescents have a ballast?

Both fittings are identical.

I ended up with them because a client on a project did not like the look of them so they were never fitted. Both are still boxed, with instructions which do not match and still have protective plastic over the globe and fitting. They both have JCC labels on the fittings, boxes and instructions. JCC are distributors in Bedfordshire as far as I know.

So leaving the above aside, if I have a 4 pin compact fl, 3 must either be live or neutral (ie the white) and the other is live or neutral (ie the blue).

Anyone any clues.

Sponsored Links
Do they have a product code on them?

JC34002 is on the box and this is on a label on the fitting:

JC34002BLK it also has (guessing these are made in Italy) AUGENTI 190W0/1TI.PT.01

The lamp holder is a standard 4 pin compact with offset lobes on the lamp.

It's IP43 Rated so is for external use.

That's not what you've got if yours has a 4 pin PL lampholder.

I think you're finding out why who ever you got them off was giving them away....

The lamp holder is a standard 4 pin compact with offset lobes on the lamp..

Like this?

pl-4-pin-gx24q-2-cap-triple-tube-18w.jpg

Those lamps require an external ballast, probably an HF type.

What you have got is something someone has modified for some purpose or other, and they have only given you part of it.

Those lamps require an external ballast, probably an HF type.

What you have got is something someone has modified for some purpose or other, and they have only given you part of it.

Is it worth the effort or should I just rewire them with a new lamp holder?

(nowhere to put anything external anyway)

New lampholder is the only realistic option - that will be far cheaper than buying a ballast unit.

The best option would be to throw those fittings away and buy something which is actually fit for purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back