Help Needed With Bathroom Light Switch & Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bathroom light switch which also switches on a wall mounted fan as well, the fan has a socket underneath it which is fused. The ceiling pull switch is wired as a switch drop, I have 2 reds 2 blacks and 1 earth, from 2 separate cables. It is fitted with a double pole switch, with 2 reds into the supply side, and 2 blacks into the load side. Although the light comes on and fan works, the 240v neon light on the ceiling socket doesn't come on when switched, but only when the fan socket switch is turned off!!! The fan socket neon light stays on even with the fuse taken out!! but when switched to the off position it stays on but dimmly lit? I think previous owner had been messing with wiring. On the ceiling wiring, on the left cable(red/black) I am getting 240v when the fan switch is turned on, and 0v when turned off. On the right cable (Red/Black) I am getting a constant 180v? But if I move the test lead from the negative and connect to the earth I get 240v? the earth is just floating (Not connected) at the moment, as decorating. Sorry it all sounds long and confusing, But I can't work out this wiring. I am not even sure if ceiling wiring correct. Here are a few pictures to help out, cheers.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
You should use a DP switch on the ceiling which does not have a neon connected to it.

Hi, you have a bit of a bodge !

I susspect you have a DP switch being used to switch 2 circuits

and you have two sets of switch wires 1 pair switching the light and the second pair switching the fan.

Be careful you may have two separate supplies on each. As you have no actual neutral at the switch that would explain the neon glowing And the 240v when you connect to the earth.

If you connect N -load N - supply you may find light works with no fan or vice-versa.

Be careful !

Regards,

KA

If you could send clearer photos, of the switched fused spur, light switch, fan; and again label as much as you can (without guessing!) we may have more of a chance.

The pictures or a description need to show us how many cables, how many wires, and where they all go.

Sponsored Links
It just needs a switch with out a neon. As KFA says, there's two pairs of live & switched live at the pull switch, with one side doing the light and the other side doing the fan.

As the neon is internally wired, and there are no neutrals connected to the switch, it'll never light properly, and is causing the bcak feed issue to the FCU too.

It looks like they don't make a square pull switch without a neon light! I have checked all my local b&q wickes, local electrics shop, all come with a neon light!! The switch under fan is a double pole switch, their are 3 cables coming out from the wall, pictures attached:

Someone has added a switch from the fan to the pull cord position at the entrance, the fan may have a humidistat which may have driven the owner mad! and they wanted to switch it off with the light.

You could just have two SP cords ?1x fan 1x light or disconnect the neon.

Regards,

KA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back