IKEA Wall Lamp Fitting (double insulation problems)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so i have bought some new wall lamps from ikea to replace some old wall lamps.

Old wall lamps are double insulated.

Ikea lamps are not and require a earth.

I know that i cannot directly replace unless i want to risk it (which i do not)

So.....is it possible to convert the ikea wiring to be double insulated?

or alternatively can i just run a earth wire from the ikea lamp off into the wall somewhere?

I am guessing not to both but i cant find any double insualted wall lamps on the internet that i like so i am struggling for alternatives from the old original lamps!

Sponsored Links
Double insulated items are type tested by the manufacturer so you can't make a non double insulated into a double insulated.

I had same problem with my parents kitchen and ended up here and I am sure the lamp is the same as many others and I just paid a fee to have double square sticker but no real option.

It says the earth should follow same route as the supply cables which means it is as easy to rewire as to add an earth.

Had it been my house with RCD on everything then I may have taken a chance but very little is RCD protected in my parents house.

And there's positively no CPC in the lighting cables?

And there's positively no CPC in the lighting cables?

in the wall, it just seems to the red and black mains wires, that run into the brown and blue for the wall lamp connections.

I think there is earth elsewhere within the house but not on the wall light wiring.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked inside the middle of the cable sheathing?

You will need to isolate safely to do this.

Have you looked inside the middle of the cable sheathing?

You will need to isolate safely to do this.

Have had a closer look and this is what i have found, there some wires afterall..........however they are not covered with the green and yellow, which is what i was looking for.

So are these bare wires earth?

can i just extend them them to create the required connection?

do i need to extend them using the insulated plastin housing the other wires are using?

right lamp connection

28ji6g0.jpg

left lamp connections

35hhdzs.jpg

Also, why does one side have 2 sets of wires, and the other just 1 set?

Many thank for your help!

The 'set' with one wire is the 'other end' of one of the 'sets' of two. The bare conductor is indeed intended to be used as the earth. You will need to trace this to its source check it is connected to earth. then You can sleeve it green and yellow and use it.

So are these bare wires earth?
Yes, you should make sure they are actually connected to the Main Earth Terminal - either in the consumer unit or near it.
Do you have a continuity meter (multimeter) and a long piece of wire?

can i just extend them them to create the required connection?
Yes, and obtain some green & yellow sleeving to cover them.

do i need to extend them using the insulated plastin housing the other wires are using?
Yes you can. It will probably be easier if you use a block of three instead.

Also, why does one side have 2 sets of wires, and the other just 1 set?
One of the two will be the supply and the other will be taking it to the other lamp.

Thanks again for your help!

I bought a continuity meter today, a fluke t50.

I have had a look through the manual and there is no instruction to test for earth, so how do i do the test?

Also have bought earth wire and extra earth sleeving, although the earth wire has multiple thin wire within the single sleeve and the wire in the wall is just a single wire, will this be a problem.

Also to connect them together i have bought some crimping butts and the insulation connectors already used in my photo's. Is either method ok?

I bought a continuity meter today, a fluke t50.
Excellent product. (Although, perhaps not ideal for your purposes).

I have had a look through the manual and there is no instruction to test for earth, so how do i do the test?
Turn off ALL power at the consumer unit. Light switch on.
Check for no voltage between L-N, L-E, N-E, no red LEDs lit.
If there is no voltage then it should detect continuity between N-E, green LED lit, but NOT between L-N or L-E.

This will indicate that E (the earth wire or cpc - circuit protective conductor) is connected to N as it should be.

This test should also be carried out between E and the Main Earth Terminal at the consumer unit.
You would need a long wire and to remove the CU cover.
If you do not feel comfortable doing this then test between E and socket screws (obviously only works with metal wall boxes) or E and various metal parts of electrical objects, e.g. hob, oven, kettle etc.
Again - green LED lit.

Also have bought earth wire and extra earth sleeving, although the earth wire has multiple thin wire within the single sleeve and the wire in the wall is just a single wire, will this be a problem.
No.

Just use the connectors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back