Installing a security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit an external security light to an outhouse that already has an internal strip light. My plan is to fit a junction box between the electricity supply point and the strip light's power switch. I want the security light on permanently (it's motion sensitive), so figured it would be correct to connect it at a point before the supply reaches the switch.

So the cabling set-up would involve the mains supply cable going into the junction box, with two cables coming out: one to the strip light switch and one to the new security light.

However, looking at the junction box instructions, their example set-up shows things arranged differently in that the three cables are: supply in from switch; cable out to lamp; cable out to lighting circuit.

Is it OK to use the junction box in the way I want? Anything else I should be aware of before going ahead?

Sponsored Links
It is okay to install a junction box providing it is easily accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance and suitable for an external influences.

What you require is to confirm that the supply to the "power switch" (is the functional switch for the existing light or an isolator?)
Has supply live, neutral and earth. Don't be fooled in to thinking all black and blue conductors are neutrals as they can often be switched lives and should be identified both at switch and fitting as that.

Building regulation would not allow an outside light to be on permanently, so I assume you mean that a permanent live feed is wanted for dusk till dawn motion sensor, even then some form of isolation should be in place.

Thanks for the reply. Having looked into the building regs side of things, I think i might have to get a spark in as I wouldn't be classed as a "competent person" to do a new installation, especially as I think it would be deemed garden lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back