Is a New Kitchen Socket Notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new gas hob came with a plug for the ignition. Previous gas hob was wired directly. If a qualified electrician added a single socket to the end of the already existing wiring, in order to plug in the new hob, is this notifiable or not?

I've read conflicting advice because generally a new socket in a kitchen is notifiable because of the location, but at the same time, it talks about if it also involves new fixed wiring or extending in any way, which this didn't.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A new gas hob came with a plug for the ignition. Previous gas hob was wired directly. If a qualified electrician added a single socket to the end of the already existing wiring, in order to plug in the new hob, is this notifiable or not?
If the electrician is registered and can self-certify then what difference does it make?

If you class this as replacing a connector with a socket it would not be notifiable.

I've read conflicting advice because generally a new socket in a kitchen is notifiable because of the location,
Yes.

but at the same time, it talks about if it also involves new fixed wiring or extending in any way, which this didn't.
That applies to replacements which are not notifiable.

After April 6th it all changes and will not be notifiable, so ...

It's not supposed to make sense.

Cut off the plug and wire it the same as now.

Cutting off the plug voids the warranty. The electrician is registered so I took what he said at face value but when you read the official rules it gives you a bit of doubt, and if we come to sell the property and it has a new kitchen, we will get asked for all the proper certs and documents. I just want to make sure it's all legit.

Sponsored Links
Cutting off the plug means cutting off the fuse, is this not a problem?

I had assumed (I know I shouldn't) that, as the present hob is wired like this, it was connected to an FCU.

Anyway it is being done by a 'qualified electrician' who will know.

The thread is more about notification than wiring.

Yes, it is not on the list of non-notifiable activities hence adding a socket in a kitchen is notifiable to your local building control.

Wether or not it still is in a few months time is another matter as there are changes afoot.

As far as I am aware, from April, only a bathroom will be a special location requiring notification....

I am assuming again but I would think that originally ...
either way, theoretically ...

There was a cooker connection unit

which was replaced with a fused connection unit

which is now to be replaced with a socket.

If these things are used to replace what was there before then,

by definition, they are replacements.

Also that oft quoted 'like for like' cannot be found in schedule 4.

replace  

verb (used with object), re·placed, re·plac·ing.
to assume the former role, position, or function of; substitute for (a person or thing): Electricity has replaced gas in lighting.

to provide a substitute or equivalent in the place of: to replace a broken dish.
to restore; return; make good: to replace a sum of money borrowed.
to restore to a former or the proper place: to replace the vase on the table.

Was there a socket there before? No!

Was there a flex outlet plate or an FCU or a cooker outlet there before which could be replaced by a socket?

Previous gas hob was wired directly.
POSSIBLY!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back