Megaman CFL GU10 too long for fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lot of GU10 halogen bulbs in my house and decided to replace them with Megaman GU10 11W bulbs as they were on sale for 6squid each from an internet retailer.

They were advertised as direct replacements, but when I came to fitting them it became obvious they aren´t. They are about 8mm too long to sit in the fitting which holds the GU10s in with a circlip. :(

Looking at another website they give the actual size of the bulbs and the 11W bulbs are about 9mm longer than the 7W bulbs.

So I am thinking of 2 options at the moment:

1) Exchange the 11W bulbs for 7W bulbs, which annoyingly are more expensive. However, I do not know if these will be bright enough. The 11W bulbs are definitely brighter than the 50W halogens and they are the warm white version.

2) Exchange for LED bulbs, which cost an arm and a leg

2) Remove the housing to the GU10s and cut a hole out of the top so that the black plastic connector can sit higher up and allow the 11W GU10s to fit. The problem - I haven´t a clue if this is ok or even why they have a ceiling to the housing in the first place (or why there are different lengths of housing)

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You seem to have listed three options. None are very clever

7W Megaman lamps are the equivalent of 30watt tungsten - so you'll need to install more fittings.

LED lamps may be an option, but the relative light output and cost os your problem.

Do not chop the housing. Are your lights fire-rated? That will nullify the features of the fitting.

You did not list option 4. That is to go out and buy some new downlights that are deep enough for the lamps. It is a well-known fact that many GU10 CFLs are longer than the GU10 halogens. Most decent on-line sellers point this out for example http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MGGU11D.html.
Megaman do quote the lamp length in their specification.

You need to find some downlight fittings that do not have fixed lamp bases. There are lots around.

Ah so its a fire rating, I won't touch the tops then.

I looked at longer versions and it looks a real PITA to have to replace everything, and isn't much cheaper than going for the LED versions (they were 5W rated at 50W equivalent).

Looks like I may have to experiment to see what is best. Thanks for the reply.

You did not list option 4.
Or option 5:

299085822_d24cbdf180_o.jpg

Take 'em out, repair the ceilings, install lights actually designed to light rooms.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back