Old and new electric cable colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys just a simple question. When replacing some floorboards I cut part way through into some old electrical wiring for the ring main. The colours were red, black and yellow/green for 'earth'.

I have taken that section of cable out in between the sockets. My question is do I have to use the older style red/black cable or can I use the modern blue/brown cables to complete the ring?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
New colours is perfectly fine. You should really attach a warning label at the consumer unit to warn about mixed colours, but in this day and age everyone working on electrical installations ought to expect this anyway.

Use new colours and you put a cautionlabel on the fuseboard, though if you have old stock cable i feel you could use that, but others may have different veiws

could i just not wrap the new wires in the appropriate coloured insulation tape?

so tape the new blue neutral in black tape?

Sponsored Links
If anything you would mark the old cables with a ring of tape colour of the NEW cables, if both join in the same socket/ enclosure, though I feel noone bothers nowadays

Identification and notices.

514.1.3 ...
NOTE Appendix 7 gives guidance on how this can be achieved.

Appendix 7
2.1 An addition or alteration made to a single-phase installation need not be marked at the interface provided that:

i) the old cables are correctly identified by the colour red for line and black for neutral, and
ii) the new cables are correctly identified by the colour brown for line and blue for neutral.

from my understanding that means i dont need to do anything :)...just replace with the new cable

from my understanding that means i dont need to do anything :)...just replace with the new cable
... and, as has been said, if one does not already exist (and if you want to be fully compliant with regs), put a warning label on your CU indicating that there are 'mixed colours' in the installation. As has been said, those labels are essentially daft, but the regulations theoretically require them!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back