DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Problems wiring up new light

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jammaestro

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote

When attempting to put up a new light fitting I took the old pendant fitting down checking how if was all wired up even taking a photograph before I disconnected it. I was surprised by the number of wires coming from the supply. The way it had previously been connected there was one black with a red sleeve on it connected to the live terminal 3 red connected to the loop terminal, and two black connected to the neutral terminal, and the earth with yellow/green sleeve on it connected to the earth terminal. The earth wire has 3 copper wires coming out of it. The new light fitting I was trying to put up only has a live neutral and earth connecter. I connected it up connecting the two black wires to the neutral terminal. The three earth copper wires to the earth and only the single black one with the red sleeve to the live terminal leaving the three red wires loose I taped them with insulation tape. I fixed the light fitting to the ceiling turned the electrics back on and the lights didn't work, but not now the kitchen lights don't work either. I disconnected the light fitting. It hasn't made any difference to the kitchen lights though. We're completely in the dark now downstairs and it's fair to say the mrs is non too pleased. Fortunately the upstairs lights are working. Can somebody please help me with the downstairs lighting problems. I'm getting really desperate now. Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
fidom

from Hungary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote

The 3 reds need to be connected together in an insulated terminal, if you have taped them up individually you are breaking the loop.
 Alert Moderators
Alarm

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Go to the electrical part of the forum and click on the "WIKKI" there you will see a diagram for a lighting circuit.

Turn off the circuit and make sure it is dead before you work on it.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: