recommendation for a wireless room stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used one they can recommend or have one fitted they are happy with?
im planning to add one to a combi system as the existing battery operated stat was installed above a radiator!
i dont like the idea of them but running cables from downstairs into the loft(where the combi is) is out of the question.
On another note do you think it is possible to connect up the 2 stats in parallel to have them both working is feasable?
reason i ask is that the old one can be put into frost protection mode and used as a back up if the wireless one has communication problems.
the combi is a baxi 105e.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What does an electric thermostat do? Not a daft question as with thermostatic radiator valves (TRV) and anti-cyclic software in the boiler if correctly fitted with by-pass valve in the correct place there is very little that the electric thermostat does.

It can by-pass the time clock as a frost stat.
If can be placed to warm in the morning sun to stop the boiler firing when it is likely to be a fine day.

There are it seems now TRV's which will wireless communicate with a central processor and not looked into it too closely but it would seem the whole idea of room thermostats is something from the past.

I have looked into motorised valves and thermostats but after fitting TRV to bedrooms I have to admit although not perfect they do work well and once one starts to fit TRV then one has to ask where can a thermostat be placed where it does some good.

I am told the idea is when all TRV close the by-pass valve returns hot water to the boiler which closes it down. After a set time the boiler will try and if within a short time hot water is returned it assumes all areas warm so increases the time before next try. If however it has a long time before hot water is returned it decreases time before next try. Unlike the old boilers the new condensation type has to have cool water returning so the flame adjusts to keep the return water at temperature required. This new system just does not lend itself to being controlled by anything but the TRV.

So may seem an odd question when first asked but there is good reason what does the thermostat do?

What does an electric thermostat do?
It turns off the boiler when its location is at the required temperature.

Not a daft question as with thermostatic radiator valves (TRV) and anti-cyclic software in the boiler if correctly fitted with by-pass valve in the correct place there is very little that the electric thermostat does.
Unless, of course, there is no anti-cyclic software or TRVs.

It can by-pass the time clock as a frost stat.
It can be placed to warm in the morning sun to stop the boiler firing when it is likely to be a fine day.
It can do quite a lot, then.

There are it seems now TRV's which will wireless communicate with a central processor and not looked into it too closely but it would seem the whole idea of room thermostats is something from the past.
Perhaps in the future they will be a thing of the past.

I have looked into motorised valves and thermostats but after fitting TRV to bedrooms I have to admit although not perfect they do work well and once one starts to fit TRV then one has to ask where can a thermostat be placed where it does some good.
Not all TRVs tell the boiler they are closed and without a thermostat the boiler will fire and stop all summer.

I am told the idea is when all TRV close the by-pass valve returns hot water to the boiler which closes it down. After a set time the boiler will try and if within a short time hot water is returned it assumes all areas warm so increases the time before next try. If however it has a long time before hot water is returned it decreases time before next try. Unlike the old boilers the new condensation type has to have cool water returning so the flame adjusts to keep the return water at temperature required. This new system just does not lend itself to being controlled by anything but the TRV.
Maybe in a newly fitted, cost no object installation.

So may seem an odd question when first asked but there is good reason what does the thermostat do?
There may, indeed, be good reason but no more than asking what does any accessory do when it is in the process of being rendered unnecessary.

Would not a computer controlled manifold system with thermostats in every room be better and raise the question "What do TRVs do?"

Has anyone used one they can recommend or have one fitted they are happy with?
I have a Drayton Digistat RF3i, which I am not happy with, but that's what my WB boiler uses if I want the receiver built in.

If you don't have that restriction, don't buy an RF3i.

You want one of these I think:

http://www.theowl.com/products/intuitionc.php

Wireless room stat, but also weather-compensating (for start time at least)

When it's cold it'll whang the heating on at 6am to make sure it's ready for 8am. When it's warmish it'll wait until 7:30 before starting the heating. Either way it's ready for 8am, always, without wasting gas keeping the house warm whilst you're asleep.

Occupancy sensing, particularly via smartphone (I am in/I am out base don phone location) saves a bunch more money.

You want/need TRVs too, but the "thermostat" does some clever-er stuff with regards when the heating is on.

7375c0916emostat.jpg.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=nest+thermostat

http://www.nest.com/

Same thinking, but many consider it "a bit too clever for it's own good" compared with basic weather comp/occupancy sensing and *you* setting the target temperatures rather than having the thermostat guess them for you.

At $249 + shipping + VAT I'd be looking for flow temp control too. Nest doesn't do OpenTherm though (yanks don't do gas boilers and wet heating as a general rule).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back