Removing a plug socket from almost above cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a little advise please, We are redoing our kitchen and part of it is fitting a bigger cooker in place of the old 60cm one.

The problem is there is a double socket on the wall above the work surface about 10cm from the edge of the new cooker position (well within the minimum safe distance). We have no real need for this socket and the easiest option would be to remove the socket (joining the wires) and fit a metal blanking plate which would show there are wires in the wall. I have read in a few places though that a blanking plate above a cooker is a bit of a fopar, but would this apply as the blanking plate would be just to the side of the cooker?

Basically I don't really want to pull up the floor upstairs to remove the fires from the wall. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
There are several potential alternatives, but they all revolve around what direction the cables feeding that socket head off in.

For example, if they come from above, you could remove the cables from the wall and terminate the cables in a socket or FCU above the wall units for a cooker hood or under cupboard lighting, for example.

The problem is there is a double socket on the wall above the work surface about 10cm from the edge of the new cooker position (well within the minimum safe distance).
There is minimum distance of 300mm, suggested as guidance not strictly legal requirement, but nethertheless it is sensible to avoid sockets in such close proximity to a hob.
We have no real need for this socket and the easiest option would be to remove the socket (joining the wires) and fit a metal blanking plate which would show there are wires in the wall. I have read in a few places though that a blanking plate above a cooker is a bit of a fopar, but would this apply as the blanking plate would be just to the side of the cooker?
Well it is not above the cooker, but to the side, so no issue, not that I could see an issue with having a metal blanking plate directly above the appliance, providing the heat rising from the hob is not going to affect the condition of the cable within the box and any terminal connector used.

I think what you have proposed,(blanking off) is a fair consideration and would not cause any potential hazards, if done correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back