Replace bayonet bulb with LED fairy lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a string of static LED fairy lights which plug into the mains. (UK). Is there any way I could adapt a regular ceiling light bulb socket (eg bayonet) so that I could hook the LED string into this? I could create a nice pattern on the ceiling then and run the lights for a longer distance up the stairwell.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You used to see the male bayonet connector years back used on irons, not sure of the availability now or there safety regarding in-line fusing.
Put I am puzzled why you want to do this, as I assume that this would mean the use of a nearby lighting point, possible the landing/stairway lighting?
An area I would consider for safety reasons would want to be well illuminated, and coloured led fairy light would not be my recommended choice.
But saying that it would be possible to adapt a lighting supply point to offer a load for fairy lights.
I assume the fairy lights have a control/transformer connected to them?

It is a very small hallway, maybe 1x2m. The lights have a little control box where you can opt for static or another light pattern. Then a little more cable and the UK plug.

Sponsored Links
The lights have a little control box where you can opt for static or another light pattern. Then a little more cable and the UK plug.
And one way or another you'd like that lot strung across the ceiling?

Sounds incredibly naff to me.

Naff isn't a word I've heard from others who have complimented other LED designs around the house. Actually I was thinking of having it neatly spiraling outwards from the centre of the ceiling.

So you'll have a plug and socket in the middle of the ceiling....

Will you use blu-tak or sellotape to hold the wires in place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back