Terminating SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm wiring up my garage and there's one bit I'm undecided on - how best to terminate the SWA.

10 years ago I wired up another garage and I brought the SWA right through both walls. That was fine but the new property is newer and the entry points much more in-your-face. So I'm considering terminating the SWA in an external junction box to make it a bit neater.

Am I just asking for trouble? What are the best boxes to use if I do go that way? And how do you ensure 100% that there's no danger of problems from water ingress?

Cheers,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Having studied Electrical and Electronic Engineering at degree level I know about potential difference, resistance, impedance, insulation, the relationship between resistance and conductor cross-section and temperature, semi-conductor theory, blah de blah de blah.

Having done a bit of reading, I know about Part P, completion certificates, voltage drops by distance, split-load CUs, sub-mains, TT-S, etc, etc.

You must have missed a day

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:swa_gland

Thanks EFLImpudence, cool guide, handy reminder.

I've terminated SWA indoors before though - no problem there. I was really after product recommendations for outdoor, weatherproof boxes and tips on how to ensure they continue to keep the water out.

Or is it best to avoid terminating outside altogether - I've seen posts saying it's just asking for trouble.

Sponsored Links
Don't make the external enclosure an unneccesary worry concerning water ingress:

Make off the SWA with as long a length of internal insulation & conductor as you need to reach the consumer unit terminals.

Then terminate the SWA into the enclosure, take the conductors through the wall, along the skirting, whatever then into the CU.

No external joints, no problem.

Don't make the external enclosure an unneccesary worry concerning water ingress:

Make off the SWA with as long a length of internal insulation & conductor as you need to reach the consumer unit terminals.

Then terminate the SWA into the enclosure, take the conductors through the wall, along the skirting, whatever then into the CU.

No external joints, no problem.

Brilliant. That option occured to me late last night. But the bit I'm not so sure about is how to earth the armour - I'd have to bring a separate earth along with the SWA inner to earth the box/armour in some way. I guess it would be OK to just feed a single 4mm core earth out...

Is this a Part P acceptable solution? (Just in case I did wanna try to get the job signed off one day)

And then, as roxburd asked, how do you earth the armour?

We don't even know that it isn't 2-core SWA, and that the problem isn't one of maintaining cpc continuity rather than mere earthing of the armour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back