Universal adaptor with no earth

Sponsored Links
I had a radio with a USA type two blade plug. Clearly to comply with UK marketing requirements where it must have a 13A plug an adaptor was supplied with it. The cable being designed for USA was very chunky and would take quite a high current but not the 32A available at my sockets.

Adaptors.JPG
Foreign-Plugs2.JPG
Shown on right. Also
shaver-adaptor-old.jpg
again no fuse. With these
Adaptor-old.jpg
one seems fused the other not but in fact even the one with a fuse did not have the fuse in line for all three outputs.

The fuse problem does raise the whole idea of a final ring circuit if we used 16A supplies like rest of Europe then not real problem.

The earth problem is also valid for MK sockets my daughter had a TV where earth pin was broken but it fitted in a MK socket with no problem.

There is nothing to stop these
Schuko-plug-socket.jpg
Schuko plugs being put in a non earthed socket and it is common in Europe not to have earths on many sockets.

I really do think we are fighting a loosing battle. However with the RCD protection rules on all sockets is it really such a problem? That's why the Europeans can live with reversible non earthed sockets and plugs. Well before us they went to RCD protection on near every socket as so it is only the old houses in UK which have a problem.

Seems we can't beat them so must join them and insist on RCD protection on all sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back