upstairslights do'nt work when i turn off the bedroom light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm installing a new light in the bedroom. When removing the light I found an earth, 4 red live an 2 nuetral.
It all worked fine until I turned off the bedroom light, and all of upstairs lights wouldn't work, but when I turned it on, they all came
back on again...? Have I put the switch lives in the wrong place?

Any help very much appreciated!

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Ok that's great thal you. Wherre do I physically put the switch wires then if one is in the wrong
Place?

Is it possible to determine which wires are to switch cables, without the use of testing equiptment?
My concern is that I won't know which cable is the switch live if they arn't marked?

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to determine which wires are to switch cables, without the use of testing equiptment?
Not really.

But you shouldn't be doing electrical work if you don't have the appropriate tools.

My concern is that I won't know which cable is the switch live if they arn't marked?
Plan A should have been to mark them before you removed them from the original light, because at that point it would have been obvious which was which.

Go and buy a multimeter.

OK

SO, you should have three cables there.
One with two reds and two with one red and one black - correct?

Turn the power off
You should be using a test instrument to check that the power is off - see safe isolation procedures in the WIKI

Disconnect the cable with the two reds and insulate the ends.

Join the two blacks together in a insulating connector
Join the two reds together in another connector.
Those two SHOULD be the feed in and feed out wires.

Turn the power on and check to see if the other lights now work correctly.

If they do then the cable with the two reds is the switch wire.

Turn the power off, put one red together with the other two. Niothing else goes in this.
You should now be left with one red. This goes to the LIVE connection to your light.
The neutral connection to your light goes to the connector block with the two black conductors.

Join all of the earth cables together, these go to the earth on your light fitting.

Turn power on

Job done.

Then resolve to always mark where wires go before disconnecting them.

Apologies for the late response.

I followed both of your advice and it worked perfectly.

Thanks Both, help was much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back