Using a cooker switch to switch an under worktop plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a washing machine which needs to be plugged in under a worktop.

Above the worktop is an existing double plug socket.

I am wondering whether using a cooker switch like this one:

ae235

can be used to switch a sub worktop plug socket?

If yes, then it will save me having to chase out a new single fused spur above the worktop.

Just to be clear, the cooker switch would be fitted in place of the existing double socket on the standard ring main, not from a 45A cooker circuit, from which I'd spur off to an unswitched socket below the worktop.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as I know no regulation to say this can't be done. Before Part P I would worry that some one may in the future think this switch has a cooker supply and would in the future fit a cooker in error.

However now that either a scheme member electrician or the LABC have to be involved that should not be a problem with all the work registered with the LABC. However where you have the problem is convincing the scheme member electrician this. It is up to him what he will do.

Although you can use the LABC that would be more expensive than using a scheme member electrician.

Thanks. It was whether there was any technical reason that it wouldn't work which I was after. I'll be doing the work myself and not notifying it (sorry guys).

As far as I can see its no different to having a single above worktop 20A switch with an unswitched socket below. Someone should do a double gang 20A switch with a socket, which is essentially what I'm after.

Actually just noticed these:

ae235

which would allow me a single socket and single 20A switch in one. Do these fit into the space of a double gang backbox?

Sponsored Links
Well, personally, I think you can't do it and comply.

Quite separately, it's not going to save any chasing as you'd need to dig out the box and fit a 47 (or 35) mm box (depending upon the switch).

It will NOT fit in a 25mm back box!

Using the switch to control a socket below is fine off a ring final, but having an additional socket built in? I don't think it would pass muster.

If the unit was fed by a 30A radial, no worries, but by a ring final, no, I don't think it would be OK.

As far as I know no regulation to say this can't be done. Before Part P I would worry that some one may in the future think this switch has a cooker supply and would in the future fit a cooker in error.

However now that either a scheme member electrician or the LABC have to be involved that should not be a problem with all the work registered with the LABC. However where you have the problem is convincing the scheme member electrician this. It is up to him what he will do.

Although you can use the LABC that would be more expensive than using a scheme member electrician.

Eric

Have a look at the draft amendment plans for Part P notification.
You'll find some jaw-dropping proposals for notification and kitchens... :mad:

OOOOOH, post a link or spill the gossip!

I've been out of the loop for a while!

Using the switch to control a socket below is fine off a ring final, but having an additional socket built in? I don't think it would pass muster.

Why? Whats the difference between this and a standard spur socket taken off an existing socket?

I'll check the depth of the existing backbox before I do it. The socket in question will also be mounted over tiles which will help with depth.

I know the aesthetics aren't fantastic but wouldn't a small hole hard up against the wall/tiles and feed the wash m/c cable through that, attach plug. Bob's yer Mams bro!

Do you need the switch readily accessible?

In the event that the washing machine throws a hissy fit, can you not just flip the MCB?

TTC:

Yeah, thanks, had a look. It looks to me like bathroom works are not notifiable unless they are in the zones!

As for kitchens, Mary Wherry will be turning in her grave.

DLB:

I'm just thinking about potential loading on the circuit that's all.

Don't forget, regs say 2kW+ appliances should have their own circuit rather than occupy a ring final.

So, no notification unless in bathroom, a new circuit or change of consumer unit.
A bit more like what currently happens in real life, then.

With no Part P police conducting spot-checks on people's houses, what do you think will be different?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back