Laminate Flooring - novice question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm about to lay some laminate flooring in my living room.
Along the long side of the room where I plan to start laying the laminate, there is a gas fireplace with a hearth that projects out into the living room by about 40cm and is about 120cm wide. The laminate will obviously go around this hearth.
My question is: do I start laying the laminate where the hearth protrudes into the living room and fill in behind to reach the wall, or at the wall and cut around the laminate hearth (both short ways and length ways) when I get to it?
The first method would mean full-width boards past the hearth but having to scribe in the ones at the wall. The second means I have to scribe-in the "long side" boards around the hearth to go around it, and I'm not sure if that would make the joining of these boards tricky?
Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I think the decision rests on how best to finish the edge along the hearth and the adjacent walls. If the hearth is reasonably straight and true then it might be easier to run full boards against that and scribe into the walls, especially as you will presumably be covering the board edges at the walls with scotia or skirting boards?

I would try a dry run first as the other factor will be the width of board remaining at the skirting if you start at the hearth. You don't want to end up with a really thin strip against the walls which will make cutting more difficult, so you may end up having to scribe both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back