Raising floor level slightly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm currently decorating the hallway in my house and have taken out the original front door and need to raise the level of the old porch area slightly.

I've not measured difference in depth yet as I still need to chip away part of the old door frame where it is raised but I guess its somewhere between 5 & 20mm.

I was wondering if I can just level it with a self levelling floor compound like this from toolstation http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p87468 or would I be better with a concrete screed?

The floors are solid concrete btw and I'll be laying laminate floor when its done.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If there are no damp problems then go for SLC.

For your requirements go for the cheapest SLC.

Mix a little white glue and water, or a cement slurry to prep the area - whatever you have at hand -then spread the SLC.

I'm assuming that you will lift the tile - you should.

The wood T&G floor is your benchmark, dont go proud of it.

You can use a piece of wpb ply cut to size when you find out how much you need to raise it by, as long as its dry in your porch of coarse.

With respect,

Dont use a cut piece of ply. Why? Because there might be no sound way of fixing the ply, and the shrinkage effect of the adhesive on a small piece of ply might curl or move the ply, and pop the tile.

Sponsored Links
If you bother to read the posts then you will see the op is laying a laminate floor, in which case he only requires the floor to be level.

1. No matter what the FF material is, the base must be solid, or firmly fixed. Its certainly not just a matter of "only requiring the floor to be level" at the main entrance traffic area.

2. What if the OP is req'd to chip away the concrete surface to get a min. depth for the ply?

3. The OP will only require an off-cut of BWP Ply from a sheet costing approx. £43 for 25mm or £23 for 18mm. Plus the getting it to site and cutting it.

4. For £10, and a lot less bother for a DIY'er, he can use SLC.

5. I could have rehearsed the above points in my first post, but for brevity & simplicity i didn't.

6. I was wrong with my reference to tile. I apologise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back