Dismantling a prefab concrete garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an over sized 70s era concrete garage in poor shape that I want to replace with a smaller one that fits in with the rest of the terrace. I've sourced the replacement but I was hoping to get some advice about dismantling the old one. It's approx 12ft by 18ft and about 10ft high, using a modular construction of reinforced concrete pillars and concrete slabs in between, the slabs are held in place with steel brackets on the inside. the roof is some sort of tar felt (not asbestos) with panels of clear plastic.

It looks like I should just be able to dismantle the roof in sections then remove the brackets one at a time and lower the panels down one by one.

I'd appreciate any advice and shared experiences

here's a photo of the garage from the house:
View media item 44420
Many thanks in advance

Tom

P.S. I know about the electric cable, it's disconnected and I'm going to be replacing with a buried SWA cable once the new garage is up.

Sponsored Links
Just advertise it on fleabay, buyer to collect and dismantle.
I sold one similar last year for £100 with no roof or door.
Amazes me what crap some people buy.
If its anything like mine the panels weigh a bloody ton !!

Once your roof is off leave the roof trusses in place or the whole thing can come crashing down on you. remove the panels from the front first, down to ground level and work back side to side , removing trusses as you come to them. when at back corners do one side at a time with someone holding the assembly.

Thanks Wingcoax, what's the best way to bring the panels down? I don't want to just drop them, in case they crack the slab, can I loop rope around the top corners and bring it down gradually with several people on the rope?

ForestGrump, it sounds like an idea but the slabs themselves are crumbling, the rebar is visible in many places and the back end of the roof is held up by that piece of CLS. I don't want to try selling someone something that I want removed because it's structurally unsound.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back