Fixing a washing post/pole to a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope someone can point me in the right direction here. I need to set up a new washing line in our small garden, I am planning on installing this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8501257.htm with one end swapped for a set of pulleys attached directly to the house. The other end I want to attach to the opposite wall (approx 4ft high) to avoid the need to dig/cement and also to gain some additional height. My question is what would be the best way to attach the post to the wall?

Here's a crap diagram: http://i.imgur.com/Wu1Ts.png

I was thinking some kind of galvanised bracket(s) perhaps similar to those used for ariels but sturdier. Any alternative suggestions more than welcome :)

Sponsored Links
Depending how sturdy the tube is couldn't you drill 2 holes in the centre of tube top/bottom and bolt it straight to the wall.

fischer

That could work yes, although I'm not sure it would be enough. My concern would be that the strength of the post would be compromised by drilling and bolting it directly. As it's an Argos product I think it may need a bit more support?

I've fixed timber fence posts to a similar wall with THESE but don't think you can get round ones. Perhaps making a wooden clamp to go inside them, something like THESE, would be an option? :confused:

You could try some builders metal band/strapping to clamp it to the wall but I think it would be a bit flimsy for a round post and think a washing line post would be sturdier concreted into the ground. :(

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi guys, thanks for your help, I've just finished putting up the pole against the low wall. I ended up using two straps of doubled up builders band fixed using heavy duty wall bolts and it is very sturdy. I'll keep an eye on it and if it shows any signs of weakness I'll re-enforce it with something else.

Thanks again (especially misterhelpful), fingers crossed it'll be a lasting solution!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back