Laying a patio of indian sandstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently laying a patio 15sq mtrs using Indian sandstone. The patio is enclosed with a retaining wall and i've put the base down using 10mm quarry bottoms and wacked it down. I've about 500kg of the quarry bottoms left over and wondered if some of this mixed together with grit sand would be suitable for the bedding material to lay the sandstone on, that is 5 to 1 with cement. I thought I could even riddle the larger stones out of the quarry bottoms. I appreciate it appears like scrimping but it seems a waste to throw it all away. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As long as your bed is deep i.e. 40mm or so then go nuts it'll only make it stronger. Make sure its not too stiff as it won't flow as well as normal mortar meaning it will be harder to judge consolidating the flags with a maul/mallet.

My tip would be to lay 3 or 4 slabs and then lift them all to check the bed is nice and full with no cavities.

Oh and make sure you have plenty of sand like 4 sand 2 quarry 1 cement.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back