Next doors massive Tree blocking light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anybody advise me what rights i have over my next doors massive tree not only blocking my light but it drops 1000's of what look like caterpillars all over my garden every week i seem to be spend all the time off from work cleaning up. I spoke to him before it started to leaf that it would be cheaper to have it cropped at this stage but alas.

Any suggestions Guys

Sponsored Links
Was it there before you moved in? No excuse if it was.

Can your neighbours prune the tree? Or are they old and infirm? Maybe they want the tree cut down but can't do it?

AFAIK the bits that are over your garden - you can prune back to the boundary - if there is no TPO on the tree and provided you do not cause it to be unstable.

As for anything else, unfortunately its tough luck - thats trees for you.

Get some caterpillar killing solution sprayed on your half.

Sponsored Links
Firstly its a lovely tree and yes it was there when i moved in but not the size it is now. Its about 20 feet higher than my house and filling up my gutters my house is turning green with mildew. and above all that by about 1400hrs any sun or decent light is blocked, any advice please

You need to get it registered with the council as a nuisance before some jobs-worth puts a tree preservation order on it. After that you can start negotiations with your neighbour re pruning, felling, cutting back roots etc

Get a chainsaw and chop it down....But do it at night so that nobody knows who did it... :mrgreen:

Lets all buy a house near a motor racing circuit and then complain about the noise. If you don't like trees - don't live near one.

That's like the idiots who buy a house near a farm, small-holding, church or clock tower and then complain about the sound of cows, cocks, bells or clock chimes.

Joes correct. That tree will have greater protection than the buildings around it. Forget any ideas about pruning either.

I spoke to him before it started to leaf that it would be cheaper to have it cropped at this stage but alas.
Others have commented accordingly. However, one has to ask if you'd be willing to pay outright for it's management or removal should your neighbour be willing to permit you to do so? One asks since it seems to be a problem for you and not him.

Not a lot you can do if the neighbour wants to keep it, unless you can prove it is a danger to yourself or your property.
You can prune back overhanging branches but must return them to your neighbour.
If you go for any action to remove it be prepared for a very expensive Court Battle which you will more likely loose.

If you are religous, (or into witchcraft), pray for a strong storm that will blow it down. (Preferably away from your property, :LOL: )

suitable auger and some dirty diesel. or failing that a friendly arboretist to give you a cert its is diseased and dangerous. then TPO or no, down it comes.

Sponsored Links
Back